The dreaded "P" word

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

The dreaded "P" word

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Well..after months of shitting myself and putting off going to my GP I finally paid him a visit yesterday. My biggest fear was having the dreaded prostate check. The first thing the doc told me was that I had exactly the same symptoms as he had and that he was going to go through exactly the same checks he put himself through. A PSA test is in progress and on Monday I go in for a bladder/prostate scan. The latter should be fun...I have to drink a litre of water an hour before the scan and hold on to it. I imagine at about 12.30 straight after the scan Ill be having the best piss Ive had for years.

Anyway what Im trying to say in a roundabout manner is.......if you think there's something up with your prostate HAVE IT CHECKED.
Martin

Paul B

Re: The dreaded "P" word

Post by Paul B » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Martin. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

I got the old prostate check a year or so ago, the doctor extracted, and then said,"No, that feels good". I shit you not. I told him too speak for himself.

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm

"No, that feels good"
He'd have probably been a bit more worried if you said that to him :shock:
Matt

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Martin ,

I had a resident Prostate infection (prostatitis)for 2 1/2 Years , so I've been through the works, all of it twice , The Bladder/prostate scan , a camera up my pee hole and bum , the GP's Finger , The Urologists Finger , The gastro's Finger, a Prostate drain and enough antibiotics to kill a rhino , none of it fun and all a bit of a worry , Good news is it's all fine now ! So I feel for you Mate , and I know where your heads at , and I know how miserable it makes you feel . If it end up being Prostatitis PM I have some advice that may help , and Yes I agree don't delay it won't get better by itself , whatever it is get it checked.
Paul .

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Well according to this bloke its all a bit of carry on by the medicos. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_prostatecancer.html 90% of us blokes will die with it. More medical profiteering on our fears.
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 am

Thanks for the support and information. An infection was mentioned as a possible cause of the symptoms. Lets see what the scan on monday shows up.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:26 pm

sebastiaan56 wrote:Well according to this bloke its all a bit of carry on by the medicos. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_prostatecancer.html 90% of us blokes will die with it. More medical profiteering on our fears.
I don't think you read McDougall's comments carefully enough....he actually states that 90% of men diagnosed with the disease will NEVER die from it:

"Because of the common belief in early detection with PSA, prostate cancer has increased at least 10-fold in the past 2 decades. Honest doctors will tell patients that testing does more harm than good – because over 90% of men diagnosed with this disease will never die from it and would be better off not knowing about it. And those few who have a fatal form of this disease are far beyond the reach of current therapies at the time of diagnosis – so they are not helped either. Besides, the treatments are barbaric leaving men impotent and incontinent. The McDougall Program is your best chance for preventing and surviving prostate cancer."

I'm familiar with McDougall's claims. He is peddling a product for profit...a dubious raw vegan diet that he maintains will prevent and treat degenerative disease.

While I agree vegan diet can reduce risk of many disease but to go on and peddle it as a treatment for a disease is moving into dangerous territory. McDougall doesn't mention that exercise is also a good way to reduce risk of diseases such as heart disease and strokes.

Any GP who knows what he/she's doing doesn't use a positive PSA test result alone as grounds for commencement of treatment for prostate cancer. The next course of action would be a scan or physical examination. A biopsy would be the final option to confirm PSA test result. Every GP Ive been to has explained to me that a PSA test is not the be all and end all and it can give a false positive result....there is no conspiracy going on.

As far as the PSA test goes you have to ask yourself........would I rather have a test that may give a false positive result or would I rather not know at all whether or not I have prostate cancer and end up dying a painful death that could have been avoided??

McDougall notes that prostate cancer has increased 10 fold over the last 2 decades. This is due to a number of reason not just the advent of the PSA test.....eg 1. heightened awareness of the disease and more men having regular check ups and 2. men are living longer.

I'll pass on McDougall's diet and put my faith in my GP's knowledge and experience...he's actually got a prostate issue himself. I'd like to see proof that a vegan diet can cure either a prostate infection or a benign enlargement of the gland.
Martin

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Martin

Last year, I had to undergo an ultrasound scan of my bladder/prostate and was required to
drink 1 litre of water prior to the scan. I finished the water at home and then drove to my appointment.
A bad mistake, I couldn't hold on long enough, the radiologist was running a bit late. Good advice given
to me after the event was to turn up half an hour or so prior to the appointment and drink the last 500ml
in the waiting area. This means less time hanging around with a full bladder. Then when performing the
scan the radiologist pushes and pokes with the probe thing-ama-jig on your stomach, this doesn't make
it any easier for you when you're trying not to piss yourself.

I hope it all goes well for you.
Bruce Mc.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

ps.

..........for men there are three things certain in life, taxes, an enlarged prostate and death.
Bruce Mc.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:55 pm

afshar wrote:ps.

..........for men there are three things certain in life, taxes, an enlarged prostate and death.
Yeah...my old man has a permanent catheter for his enlarged prostate as well as a colostomy bag. Pissing into one bag and sh*tting into another.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Anyway lets see what the scan shows tomorrow.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:14 pm

afshar wrote:Martin

Last year, I had to undergo an ultrasound scan of my bladder/prostate and was required to
drink 1 litre of water prior to the scan. I finished the water at home and then drove to my appointment.
A bad mistake, I couldn't hold on long enough, the radiologist was running a bit late. Good advice given
to me after the event was to turn up half an hour or so prior to the appointment and drink the last 500ml
in the waiting area. This means less time hanging around with a full bladder. Then when performing the
scan the radiologist pushes and pokes with the probe thing-ama-jig on your stomach, this doesn't make
it any easier for you when you're trying not to piss yourself.

I hope it all goes well for you.
Thanks for the advice Bruce
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Scan went ok....I took Bruce's advice and drank half the water before leaving home and the rest of the water when I got to the clinic. The scan didnt tae long and afterwards I dashed to the dunny and had one of the best pisses Ive had in my life.

Off to GP tomorrow for scan and PSA results.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:59 am

Fingers crossed :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Meeting with GP today......will discuss scans and tests and formulate a forward plan.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:27 pm

No cancer but I have a benign enlargement of the prostate which if left untreated can end up causing me alot of grief later on life. Immediate plan is to do a course of a drug that suppresses the hormone responsible for causing the enlargement of the gland.
Martin

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm

kiwigeo wrote:No cancer
That's the best news Martin. Many more guitars,ukes and lutes to come !!
Craig Lawrence

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:24 pm

That's the best news Martin.

It is so easy to take good health for granted!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Good to hear that result Martin

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Good news, a course of drugs is much better than a course of chemo and or surgery.
Matt

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Welcome news Marty :cl :cl :cl 8)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks chaps.......
Martin

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Good news Martin ,

Good thing you went !

take it easy mate!!

Cheers,
Paul .

Alastair
Myrtle

Post by Alastair » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing Martin,

One of the things I also need to take by the horns
Regards

Alastair

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Thats good news Martin, just check which gland they are going to suppress enlargement of :o
Bruce Mc.