Schapelle Corby?

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Schapelle Corby?

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Schapelle Corby

Can anyone tell me what the real story behind this story is?

youtu.be/
(some bad language on the video, audio track, near the end)

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Schapelle Corby?

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 pm

The real story.......a chick who was a few bottle short of a six pack decided it would be a good idea to smuggle drugs into a country with a well publicised policy of shooting or incarcerating convicted drug dealers. She got caught and now she's in the clink. I got sucked in by the publicity campaign when she first got arrested but the more I learned about her family and friends and their connections to the drug world the more sceptical I became about her innocence.
Martin

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 am

Thanks, Martin.

A couple of other folks connected with me too, and it is appreciated.

It crossed my desk "with urgency" and so I assumed that there was some new, dire news about this (such as Schapelle being terribly ill or going crazy in an Indonesian prison.) Even if I watched the US "news", I would never have heard her story there. The US "news" pays little attention to Australia, or anyone else - other than who the US is currently bombing the freedom into.

[RANT]Looks like more signs point to her guilt than her innocence, though if the government sources say "it's cold" or "it's black", I'd immediately think its hot and white. (I have a deep distrust of governments, not limited at all to the US.)

Let's assume: guilty as charged. I'm sure there are folks that feel that whatever the punishment happens to be for the crime you commit, on the soil where you commit the crime... well, too damn bad. I think of dangerous, highly addictive drugs as very problematic for the addict, and want all addicted people to get the help they need to get off the addicting substance - but not jail time. Jail for drug possession and use makes no sense to me at all, and countries that have put drug users in treatment rather than jail have strong statistics to prove that it is much more effective - and cheaper for society.

Many people who take addictive substances find themselves trying to lower the cost of their addiction by buying in quantity - thus becoming petty "dealers", so even those in possession of moderately large amounts are still primarily addicts, not dangerous criminals (in my mind.) I'm not sure exactly where the line is crossed with each addictive substance, but from the whistleblowers that have said the CIA moves planeloads of cocaine, and guards opium supply lines in Afghanistan, well, the line has definitely been crossed. That's a whole different matter, and those big-time addictive drug wholesalers/suppliers are criminals.

Marijuana is not addictive, can be used to make something like 25,000 different things from paper to plastics to food, to medicine, and from the research that I have done, is unfairly prohibited. I know there are cannabis farms in Oz, growing the 0% THC plants, useful for probably 24,900 of the 25,000 uses - and that's great. But, the plant needs to have the "cannabinoid" compounds (THC or CBD, etc.) to be useful as medicine. After having my wife go through chemotherapy (which in itself is carcinogenic, shortens lifespans, and causes a number of things like brittle teeth and bones to add misery to the lives of patients), and finding out later that the US government has suppressed the research - which goes back to 1975 - showing that cannabis/marijuana cures cancer... well, I cannot even express how pissed off I am.

Cannabis/marijuana is listed as a "Schedule 1" drug, next to the highly addictive and dangerous heroin and cocaine, by the US government, and the US government has pressured other countries into signing treaties making cannabis possession a major crime. I could be wrong, but I'll bet that Schapelle Corby is serving 20 years in prison for possession/smuggling 4kilos of marijuana because of the pressure by the US government to make the criminal offense for marijuana as major as is possible.

You may not smoke pot - I used to, many years ago - but I would hope most folks could see that the punishment for Schapelle or anyone else with a marijuana conviction does not fit the crime. I am for the complete, untaxed legalization of marijuana (partially to spark a new green revolution, utilizing what has to be the most useful plant on Earth), commuting the jail/prison sentences of all persons convicted of marijuana possession/growing/selling/smuggling and expunging their criminal records, and allowing hundreds of thousands of people to have the cheap, effective, natural cancer cure that Mother Nature provided.[/RANT]

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:The US "news" pays little attention to Australia, or anyone else - other than who the US is currently bombing the freedom into.
:lmao :lmao Nice turn of phrase there Dennis!
Indonesia have always had a very strict "No drugs" policy Dennis, it still doesn't stop finding drugs there, just makes getting caught with them a more unpleasant experience, I don't think in this instance (Indonesia) it was the mammoth pressure machine that is the US more a case of a country's religous beliefs.
As Martin commented, it is a well known fact in this part of the world, that Indonesia has this Zero tolerance policy with harsh consequences yet it's amazing the number of nongs that still try to smuggle drugs either into or through Bali :roll:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Alastair
Myrtle

Post by Alastair » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Some indications I have seen of what Martin was alluding to above, was that this was not "incidental dealing" but a highly organised family trafficking operation. It would seem she was drafted in at a late stage after arrangements had been disrupted, and got copped.
Regards

Alastair

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Not getting into an open discussion about the case of guilt or not, but I've always thought there was a high degree of guilt simply because of the rather hammy acting & puppy dog tears from said female.
"Jesus Loves You."

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 pm

The only ones who really know are the Corby.

Dont forget that the media does make a lot of crap up and exaggerates stuff as do the police.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 am

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 am

As the witch says at the end of the clip...."it's a fair cop".
Martin

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:06 pm

exactly. Where the nights of Ni, Roger the Shrubber and Tim the enchanter fit into this story? I guess Time will tell

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Had I known she weighs the same as a duck, I would not have needed to ask the question.

We know the half-life of uranium 238 is 4.468 billion years years, and that Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Therefore, Schapelle Corby deserves to rot in an Indonesian prison for twenty years, give or take the incubation period of a duck's egg.

Sounds like the whole f-ing world has gone mad to me.

A few days ago, a "Sunday school teacher" drove into a church parking lot. For some reason, a police officer pulled his gun, and ordered the woman to "stop, or I'll shoot." We'll never know if she heard him or not, if she thought he was an attacker or what, because she tried to drive away. The police officer shot her, point-blank through the car window, then stepped back and fired 5 more times. She's quite dead now. An inquiry will find the police officer innocent, because, well, the police are always right - and they never lie. Schapelle Corby is very lucky. She is alive. Damn good thing she didn't try to drive away from this police officer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABwxLrFEyxw

Dennis

p.s. If you want an idea of how brainwashed and afraid of authority, and beaten into subservience the majority of American citizens now are, just watch and listen to the dead woman's husband.
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:
Sounds like the whole f-ing world has gone mad to me.
I used to think this way...but then realised that the world is actually quite sane and I'm the one who's going mad.

Haven't seen too many posts on your latest builds Dennis...what's been happening in your shop?
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Isn't that 'the Amerkin way' Dennis? Shoot first, ask questions later. Always remember seeing a clip of an African 'Merkin outside of a shop, arms high in the air with about twenty cops in a semi circle around him, all with guns drawn on him. After ten minutes of this stand off the poor bugger's arms got tired, he dropped them no more than an inch & all twenty cops opened up on him. Turned out later he was unarmed & mistaken for somebody else......but he could have been going for his Uzi & taken them all out, can never be too careful you know. :roll:
"Jesus Loves You."

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm Still not sure that she's guilty, I think she may have taken the rap for her father, but then, as has been said, the whole family could have been involved somehow. it may turn out to be like " a dingo took my Bay bee"
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I smuggled some pot into the US a few years ago. My misses had bought me a couple of shirts made from hemp. I realised when I was on the plane that I had them in my bag, didn't freak out going through customs, but it was on the back of my mind. Nice shirts, wouldn't want to smoke them tho.

Funny thing is, with all the hoopla about pot being bad...

George Washington was a hemp farmer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:48 am

I have nothing at all against pot or those who smoke it. But on the other hand I have no real compassion for those who possess the level of greed required to roll the dice even when the largest stakes of all are on the table. For them I maintain a 'reap what ye sow pilgrim' attitude, simply because that level of self interest takes a certain kind of person, and those whom I have met in my time never seem capable of restricting their capacity to put themselves first, regardless of the consequence for others around them...That's not such a good foundation for the development of trust, and in the end, it does not seem to pay that well either...Perhaps such people would do better to get with the program and turn their unscrupulousness and skills of deception and betrayal which have been tuned to perfection by years of dedication to their 'win at any cost' philosophy, to politics. That's where they would fit like a finger up a bum.

Nope, nothing against pot or pot smokers here because that would make me and most everyone I know hypocritical to some degree. But to my mind there's no relationship at all between those who use, and those opportunistic snakes in the grass who are drawn to the big bucks bait that results from prohibition. With that it seems the most sensible thing to do if we really wanted to separate what are essential good people, from low life opportunistic scum and hopefully prevent the one, from contaminating the other...is to legalise it....what ever 'it' is.

Rather than being 'the' problem with modern society, drug abuse is a symptom of a modern society with problems. The sooner that legislators, educators, social commentators, and the leaders of sheep come to terms with that, the sooner we will be able to grow old in our homes without fearing some iced out, soulless, victim of our collective stupidity and someone else's greed, will come jumping through the bedroom window to bash the remaining years out of us, just so they can feed their monkey in silks for another day.

Jeers

Grim :lol:

greg c
Wandoo

Post by greg c » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:52 pm

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:04 pm

A mate said to me the other day..."You never hear about people going to jail for growing tobacco without a permit". It was kind of a funny thing to say but you really don't see that much of it on the news. It does happen quite a lot in NSW and VIC but rarely makes the TV unlike pot crop busts.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 pm

MBP wrote:The only ones who really know are the Corby.

Dont forget that the media does make a lot of crap up and exaggerates stuff as do the police.
Wouldn't it be great to know the truth Dennis, yes I'm an idealist but the reality is we will never know for sure. We all get fed a staple diet of propaganda, crap, bs et al from any amount of 'journalistic sources' indigestion and heartburn have to be the new pandemics. There must be Panacea in truth and i for one would opt for a repeat prescription if it were for sale at any price.

Steve

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Nick wrote:Indonesia have always had a very strict "No drugs" policy Dennis,
She should have stuck to mushroom omelets or the odd smoothy.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield