A 2012 tribute to Led Zeppelin (Kennedy Centre Honours)

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

A 2012 tribute to Led Zeppelin (Kennedy Centre Honours)

Post by Kim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Be sure to watch all four covers. The Hart sisters make Robert Plant tear up but the performance will probably have you welling up urself. :D

Both the Foo Fighters and Kid Rock do a bloody good job and Lenny K is great on whole lota love, but the stealer Stairway to Heaven...just awesome.. :cl :cl :cl

I used the UnPlug add-on ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unplug/ ) for Mozilla to download this HD clip and played it back on our 60" plasma with multi channel ...The full choir backing on STH is awesome as are LZ 8)

Enjoy

youtu.be/

Kim

martintaylor
Blackwood

Re: A 2012 tribute to Led Zeppelin (Kennedy Centre Honours)

Post by martintaylor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 am

AWESOME!!! What a great tribute. Loved Lenny and the Foo Fighters, but you're right, Stairway to Heaven was the best. :cl :cl :cl

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Thats Great Kim Thanks for shareing that :cl

Have you tried this for downloading Youtube vids http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

Even the free version is good :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Stairway to Heaven is simply outstanding Kim.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Tod Gilding wrote: Have you tried this for downloading Youtube vids http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

Even the free version is good :D
Thanks Tod but I'm pretty happy with UnPlug. It is free, small, clean, easy to use and it works.

If there's a downloadable video on a site then the .exe automatically populates the right click mouse menu. Once open the program allows the user to select the format and resolution or file size they want to download. When that choice has been made the file is downloaded in the background and Unplug pisses off like a good program should leaving the user and their PC alone :D

I've had it installed now for a few years and no complaints..but then it is a pretty old version so maybe they've found a way with "Up-dates" to stuff up a good thing :roll:

Cheers

Kim

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 pm

With a review like that I think I will be trying it ...Thanks mate
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 am

That was awesome Kim - thanks for the link. That Jimmy Page looks like one cool old cat.
Not sure if it's of any interest at all, but our old telly blew up just after christmas & the new one that we got has wi-fi connectivity. It makes it really easy to watch Youtube directly on your TV. Our one is still a little clunky, but I reckon that they're only going to get better over the next little while. Something to think about on your next upgrade. :D
Steve

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Steve wrote:That was awesome Kim - thanks for the link. That Jimmy Page looks like one cool old cat.
Not sure if it's of any interest at all, but our old telly blew up just after christmas & the new one that we got has wi-fi connectivity. It makes it really easy to watch Youtube directly on your TV. Our one is still a little clunky, but I reckon that they're only going to get better over the next little while. Something to think about on your next upgrade. :D
Steve

Agree on all counts Steve.

Our teli is only about 6 month old and will stream compressed media from ABC iview and such flawlessly. But despite best efforts to rectify with upgrade to a really good modem and everything on the LAN now being hardwired via gigabit switch instead of using WiFi, it seems our broadband2 connection is simply not up to streaming 'HD' quality without considerable caching along the way which really kills the joy. The connection is not 'too' bad because I can direct stream HD quality video from the net to playback on the 24" monitor of my PC without issue, but that's not then up-scaling to 60" @ 1080p and I think that right there is the issue.

I know its not a WiFi issue because as I said, everything is hardwired @ gigabit and I 'can' stream HD clips to the teli direct from my phone via WiFi without a problem. So the solution for me when I want to watch HD clips on the teli at this point in time is to first download them to my PC, and then access them for play back from the media folder on the PC using a networked Oppo bluray player via a DLNA server such as Serviio. (Free and works well) http://www.serviio.org/

This works really well as our entire music, video and photo libraries can now be accessed by anything on the network, including remotely via our phones if required. The TV, receiver/amp and bluray all have android apps so you can use ur phone to control everything from anywhere when playing back including where on any of the 3 channels availiable on the amp. The only hitch is that the TV (Panasonic plasma) does not seem to want to play back video clips such as FLV and MP4 etc downloaded from the net directly, neither does the Denon amp, but as explained we access them via the Oppo bluray and they play at outstanding quality with sound to match...must have something to do with superior codec used by Oppo I recon 8)

Cheers

Kim

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Kim wrote:...but then that's not upscaling to 60"
Bloody hell, you've got your own cinema! We were pretty happy moving from a 49 cm CRT to a 42" flat-screen, so I'm not sure that we're at all familiar with the finer nuances of HD codecs while flicking through our music collection on the TV via our phone. Sounds like you've got it all under control :wink: :D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Steve wrote:
Kim wrote:...but then that's not upscaling to 60"
Bloody hell, you've got your own cinema! We were pretty happy moving from a 49 cm CRT to a 42" flat-screen, so I'm not sure that we're at all familiar with the finer nuances of HD codecs while flicking through our music collection on the TV via our phone. Sounds like you've got it all under control :wink: :D
Yeah well we done much the same, after waiting out for years we finally threw the old CRT on the kerb side 6 month ago when we got a good deal on the 60" panel which just happened to fit perfectly mounted up on the chimney in the lounge..8). I wasn't much of a movie fan so to swing me to make the move to HD the family agreed I could fit out a sound system that would serve for use in home theatre but would also satisfy my listening requirements for music...Suckers.... :lol:

If the neighbours have complained about the noise I certainly haven't heard them :twisted:

Cheers

Kim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm

That was awesome!

Well played, Kim!

How would you like to be a musician tasked with playing the music of rock legends back to them? How intimidating to play the Jimmy Page guitar part to him, or sing the Robert Plant vocals back to him..

Really outstanding.

Thanks, Kim!
Another damn Yank!

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Yeah,that was sooooo good.THanks Kim!!
I love how it just keeps building with the orchestra and huge choir ...
Since this came out , I don't know how many times I've watched it!!
What a stunning tribute. :cl :cl :cl
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida