Hello...hello....hello

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Re: Hello...hello....hello

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 am

Sandra's earrings so distracted me that I provided old weather details, from before the last storm. My little town of Duluth, MN has broken its old record for snowfall in April, and we now have over 41 inches of snow in April (over ten feet for the entire winter.) I'll get out my slide rule and try to translate that to metric, (for you poor chaps that got bamboozled into a system of measurement where you divide by 10 and move decimal points, instead of the much more intuitive division by twelves and sixteens): we got over 3 meters of snow this year, and about 106cm in April alone (I think that's 10.6^23 millimeters, but my slide rule needs new batteries.)

Your pal in the great white north,

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:
Nick wrote:...
Your Barmaid for this event will be Sandra

You know, I could not help but notice, Sandra has big, er, huge, um, I mean enormous [______________.] <--- I want to make sure I put the correct word in there, as I know that you Southern Hemisphericals have your very own special words. I will get out my trusty Americenglish to Aussi-Kiwi to Americenglish translation guide book and look up the word I'm thinking of.

Ah yes, here it is: "earrings." She had better watch out or her lobes may start to sag (though I suspect it will be a couple of decades before anyone notices.)

Cheers! :D

Dennis

p.s. Still hot as hell there? We are having the most bizarre and protracted winter here. It's late April (think late October for you), and should be "spring" and we still have nearly 2 feet of snow cover. By this time last year, I had already planted part of my garden. We have had 25" of snow in April alone... and tonight, we are supposed to get another 4" to 8."

Extremes of weather suck, and I don't know which is worse: freezing my ass off, or sweating my ass off.

I know, I know... I used some Americenglish terms. You'll have to translate "ass" and "inches", and if you get stuck, ask Sandra.

Dennis,
The word is " Norks ". It's a bit old school these days. Like much Aussie slang makes no sense but is just perfect.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 am

That sound horrible. I'm afraid this amount of snow will last you all summer long, and if you'll want to grab a cold one by mid-July you first will have to put it in the oven in order to get at least a liquid beer.

Oh by the way Dennis, my English is not so good... what does the Australian/Duluthian-English term "earrings" exactly mean? :shock: :lol:

Edit: Oh, I think Bill has answered my question meanwhile I was writing my former posting.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:Sandra's earrings so distracted me that I provided old weather details, from before the last storm. My little town of Duluth, MN has broken its old record for snowfall in April, and we now have over 41 inches of snow in April (over ten feet for the entire winter.) I'll get out my slide rule and try to translate that to metric, (for you poor chaps that got bamboozled into a system of measurement where you divide by 10 and move decimal points, instead of the much more intuitive division by twelves and sixteens): we got over 3 meters of snow this year, and about 106cm in April alone (I think that's 10.6^23 millimeters, but my slide rule needs new batteries.)

Your pal in the great white north,

Dennis
Jay...zus! Bet you're sick of shoveling snow Dennis! Over 3 metres A.k.a 41 inches (multiply by 10, carry the one and divide by the square root of 12 apples :wink: ).
Been really weird in the South Island of godsown too, we went from a warm/hot Summer, skipped Autumn altogether and have gone straight into winter, single digit temps, wind and flooding. :?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:I'll get out my slide rule and try to translate that to metric, (for you poor chaps that got bamboozled into a system of measurement where you divide by 10 and move decimal points, instead of the much more intuitive division by twelves and sixteens
You yanks were the first to go metric with your currency...why the *** didnt you finish the job and go metric with all you measurement units as well :D
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

kiwigeo wrote:You yanks were the first to go metric with your curency...why the *** didnt you finish the job and go metric with all you measurement units as well :D
It made more cents to stay put Martin :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Nick wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:You yanks were the first to go metric with your curency...why the *** didnt you finish the job and go metric with all you measurement units as well :D
It made more cents to stay put Martin :lol: :lol:
:lmao :lmao Very Good Nick

I would be happy if the Aussies could stick with the one measurement system, Many times that I wanted to buy something locally and had no idea what size it was :?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm

"NASA scientists are ridiculously smart, but even geniuses have bad days. Sept. 23, 1999, proved to be a particularly bad — and expensive — duh moment for NASA when a Mars orbiter crashed into the Red Planet's surface because of a simple conversion error: one engineering team had used metric units while another team had used feet and inches. After nearly 10 months in space, the navigation mishap pushed the Mars Climate Orbiter too close to the planet's surface. The crash effectively ended the mission — designed to help scientists study the history of water on Mars — on the day NASA had hoped to celebrate the craft's successful entry into Mars' orbit. NASA's associate administrator for space science said in a written statement at the time, "People sometimes make errors." This elementary mistake cost $125 million."

"Sometimes people make errors".... :lmao :lmao :lmao
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Nick wrote:
Been really weird in the South Island of godsown too, we went from a warm/hot Summer, skipped Autumn altogether and have gone straight into winter, single digit temps, wind and flooding. :?
That sounds like normal for Christchurch.... :?
Martin