David Gilmour...over 2 hours of bliss

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

David Gilmour...over 2 hours of bliss

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Saw/listened to part of this concert (and downloaded it for later, off-line, enjoyment as well.)

Made me think of Kim Hickey. :~)

David Gilmour Live at the Royal Albert Hall

youtu.be/

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Re: David Gilmour...over 2 hours of bliss

Post by Kim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks for posting Dennis and also for remembering who my favourite all time 'expressive' guitarist is...There's only one Dave Gilmour and as good as Roger Waters could stitch the notes together, I doubt anyone could have breathed the life of floyde into them like DG did. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 am

A great (and underestimated guitarist in my opinion) axe wielder although I'm not as enthusiastic about his solo album "The Island", I don't think David's writing chops are up there with Roger Waters's, but then it could also be that the Floyd stuff is so iconic and ingrained.
As you say Kim, one single held note emitted from DG's fingers says more than the 64 (in the same bar of 4) from somebody like Steve Vai's could ever say.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Leslie West once said that the reason McLaughlin, di Meola and crew play so many notes is because they can't find the right one.

Steve

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Love his playing. If you've never heard him playing straight blues it's well worth searching out the nineties recording 'Muddy Waters Blues - A Trbute To Muddy Waters' by Paul Rodgers (ex Free, Bad Company etc) for a track he plays on, 'Standing around crying'. Well up to the best by folk like Peter Green.

Gilmour could have made a career out of that stuff if he hadn't done the Floyd art rock thing.

Kym

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Kamusur wrote:Leslie West once said that the reason McLaughlin, di Meola and crew play so many notes is because they can't find the right one.

Steve
And it was Miles Davis who said....what ever note you play it's never going to be more than a semitone away from the correct one.
Martin

kalimna
Gidgee

Post by kalimna » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, I have never found the knack of locating those semitones ;)

One of my favourite Gilmour solos is that accompanying Comfortably Numb, such emotion from calm and mellow, to raw anger. Stunning.

Adam

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Kamusur wrote:Leslie West once said that the reason McLaughlin, di Meola and crew play so many notes is because they can't find the right one.

Steve
And it was Miles Davis who said....what ever note you play it's never going to be more than a semitone away from the correct one.
Yep he sure did Martin

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Miles also maintained that trying to do perfect a good vibrato on a trumpet was a waste of time....when you get old you do it without trying.

Miles had a very dry sense of humour and some classic one liners. I recall watching footage of an interview where the subject of the conversation somehow got onto hair stuck in teeth.....some of Davis's comments were pure crack up material.
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Mils Davis requested sometime ago my favorite guitar player Robben Ford to play some gigs with him. I remember Robben saying it has been one of the highlights of his career and he was so petrified about the whole event. It took him a while to work up enough guts to ask Miles what he wanted him to do in the band and his answer was just play. Obvious he must have liked the way Robben played.

Mr Gilmour is such a tasteful player he stands out from the rest. Less is more! I am a strat man myself and just love his music and his tone.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Miles also maintained that trying to do perfect a good vibrato on a trumpet was a waste of time....when you get old you do it without trying.

Miles had a very dry sense of humour and some classic one liners. I recall watching footage of an interview where the subject of the conversation somehow got onto hair stuck in teeth.....some of Davis's comments were pure crack up material.
Never saw that Martin but not crack up material when they get caught in throat!

Steve

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Thumbed through an old copy of Guitar Player years ago Masters of the Strat was the issue and they were all there including DG and SRV etc but to my horror no EC or JH what bullshit is this I thought till about the middle where I find new heading titled Grand Masters, with photos of the aforementioned everything was fine after that. Leo definitely got it right Alan and so did those players.

Steve