Aussie Leahy makes US visit

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Aussie Leahy makes US visit

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Well, I just met (for the first time, in person) and spent a day with one of my Australian cousins and his Japanese wife. Born and raised in Cairns, has been living in Hobart, Tasmania for years, and will be moving to Perth as soon as they sell the Hobart place. Really nice guy and his wife is a very good artist too.

He says I have "hundreds" (not sure if he really means 'hundreds', or if he meant 'many') of cousins in Australia.

He also lived and worked in New Zealand for a while, and has visited Japan (and Ireland) several times for extensive visits.

Australia doesn't seem so far away any more. Now, I just wish the airfare was fair.

Dennis

p.s. Quantas used to fumigate passengers upon arrival! ???
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Re: Aussie Leahy makes US visit

Post by Kim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote: He says I have "hundreds" (not sure if he really means 'hundreds', or if he meant 'many') of cousins in Australia.

p.s. Quantas used to fumigate passengers upon arrival! ???
1: Yes it would be 'hundreds' Dennis, before the advent of 'the pill', Australia had been predominantly catholic and therefore very prolific.

2: That probably did actually happen Dennis however I dare say it would have been deodorant and carried out by QANTAS crew on the assumption that all passengers were from the mother country. These days we cover all the bases and DDT is used by the military.

Cheers

Kim

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

I have been on airplanes in a number of countries that asked for passengers to look down while the crew sprayed an aerosol. I don't remember if one was coming to Australia. If it was, it was in 1971.

Hasn't happened the past three or four O/S trips I've taken. :roll:
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:32 pm

The first time I came to Australia in 1989 we were doused with something on an Air New Zealand flight that reminded me of a bathroom cleaner / deodorant.

This last trip, I wish they did the same to mask the farts the guy in front of me was easing out every 1/2 hour. :twisted:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Allen, it must be horrible having to share first class with Clive Palmer............ :fff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Allen wrote:
This last trip, I wish they did the same to mask the farts the guy in front of me was easing out every 1/2 hour. :twisted:
I can just see Allen with a pocket tool of some description trying to dig out one of those oxygen masks from the panel above his head :D

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield