I need some help!

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

I need some help!

Post by martintaylor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:40 pm

As the title suggests, I need some help with my guitar playing skills. As evidenced by my latest lounge room recording, https://soundcloud.com/martintaylor/lovely-is-love I am stuck at the basic strumming level. I have tried finger picking but it sounds like I have discovered notes that weren't even possible and they don't sound good. If anyone can point me in a direction that can improve my playing that would be great. I promise I will practice!

Thanks.

Dekka
Blackwood

Re: I need some help!

Post by Dekka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Martin
To start basic picking I would use just thumb and two fingers. Aim at a "Boom/chuck/chuck" 3/4 pattern; playing the bass note with the thumb and then two treble strings together in the chord. It will sound a bit "country & western" to begin with but it gets you in the habit of letting the bass note ring out as well as getting your right hand accustomed to where all six strings are. You will find your hand and fingers will come to rest automatically addressing the strings.
Also include some scale practice using the thumb alone and the two fingers alone. Once you've done that for as long as you can stand, introduce a third finger and mix up time signatures, rhythms, etc.
Explore tab charts that are available on the net which will show you note for note and digit by digit how to play your favourite picking tunes.
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Lovely is love was lovely Martin. Like Derick said starting with pattern picks is a good place to get your muscle memory happening. I can't strum the way you do but I reckon if I put in the effort in the end I could get it.

Another thought is using what you have and adding, take that strum of yours and fill it with the odd little lick.

Here are two pattern picks in tab, they ain't much music but if you do them laboriously round in circles they are the type of stuff that can build that muscle memory (both thumb and two finger alternating bass patterns). If you can't work them out PM me and I will phone you and show you how they work.
patpick.jpg
patpick.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 8749 times
Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Eric Scheper
Wandoo

Post by Eric Scheper » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:59 pm

You can get a fair bit of instruction on youtube, especially if not starting from scratch. Maybe check out Marty Schwartz

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Great advice from the others Martin and like Eric said there are some really good vids on the tube just pick a tune.

Steve

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone.

Dekka: I think I'm all thumbs at the moment but I will attempt your method.
Jim: Not sure what is going on there so I may PM you with my details
Eric: I'll check out Marty Schwartz. I need to start somewhere!
Steve: thanks

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Martin,

This is something I like to try sometimes , I like the way this guy explains it slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4SBVqsPIo

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks Rob.
He is more at my pace I think.