What I did yesterday

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:06 pm

You're spoiling me bro, what a treat! :D :cl
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:22 pm

Oh, I like it. I like it alot. It reminds me of the MJ shape that MichaelP did for us. You know, that's the only set of plans I've bought from the OLF. I really like the shape. And in this case, I like the whole package. You and Dave do some sweet work.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:13 am

Wow, Bob, that's a beauty!! That abalone appears really blue on my screen. I love it.

Ron

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:12 am

Thanks guys.

You'll notice that the waist on these is higher than the OM effectively
providing a bit more real estate south of the bridge. Reason for this was the theory that most of the sound is coming from the lower bout.

The upper bout is very small and should be stiff, giving some more support to the neck block to accomodate the extra tension of a twelve string.

The whole body shape is small so it should be possible to build the soundboard lighter and stiffer than on a larger guitar.

On the guitar pictured with the OM the soundhole is also shifted a quarter of an inch towards the neck thus the X brace will be forward shifted and the fingerboard will be a 19 fretter.

The braces on this one are 8mm wide (typical dreadnaught/large guitar width braces) size and scalloped.

The body depth is 4 5/8 at the end block and 3 7/8 at the neck block.

The top is Adi which is 2.8mm thick in the middle thinned down to 2.5mm at the perimeter.

So there's a fair bit of experimentation going on and I don't really know what it's going to turn out like.

What I am looking forward to is making assessments when it it is finished and fine tune any further ones like this to eventually come up with something that is our own shape and sound.

I'm sure someone like Al Carruth would already have a lot of these answers at his fingertips.

Cheers

Bob

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:33 pm

I really like the shape of it! It's kind of like a.... Nano Jumbo!