Fence building

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Fence building

Post by colburge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 am

Guys

I have recently moved into a new house, and before I can build another instrument, I need to sort out new fencing amongst other things.

One side of my house has 30m of steel fencing, solid as buggery, but it is not a privacy fence. I want to go straight over the top with new rails and lapped palings, utilising the steel posts already there, which are 65mm square.

I am not entirely sure how to attach the rails to the posts? If I use 4.8m rails I can just bolt straight through the posts at the centre, but there will not be enough room to bolt the ends of the rails where they butt together. I am sure their must be some type of bracket or method that fencing contractors use, that is simple, but I cant find it anywhere.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Col

nnickusa
Blackwood

Re: Fence building

Post by nnickusa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 am

Hey Col,
Have a look at multi-grips. They are a 90 degree bent gal bracket used in building to tie down trusses and rafters. One on top, one on the bottom, on the back side, attached with gal stitch screws. Just overlap the joint on a post, and a bolt thru the centre of each, and you're laughing.

You could look into having some wide U-brackets bent at a steel outfit, then, just butt the ends together inside that......

Someone else may have a better idea, but those two would work.
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

nnickusa wrote:Hey Col,
Have a look at multi-grips. They are a 90 degree bent gal bracket used in building to tie down trusses and rafters. One on top, one on the bottom, on the back side, attached with gal stitch screws. Just overlap the joint on a post, and a bolt thru the centre of each, and you're laughing.

You could look into having some wide U-brackets bent at a steel outfit, then, just butt the ends together inside that......

Someone else may have a better idea, but those two would work.
Thanks, I just had a look at Bunnies, only 45c. I am not sure what you mean when you say one on top, one on bottom and on the backside though, I am hopeless when it comes to picturing things in my head.

Cheers

Col

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Sadly, I can't draw anything on the computer.

Try this. If you imagine the two rail ends meeting, position one multigrip so that the angle rests on the upper, rear corner, with one flange on the top, and one on the back of the rail. The other multigrip is on the bottom the same way. one flange supporting the bottom, and one against the back. Get it?
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:57 pm

nnickusa wrote:Sadly, I can't draw anything on the computer.

Try this. If you imagine the two rail ends meeting, position one multigrip so that the angle rests on the upper, rear corner, with one flange on the top, and one on the back of the rail. The other multigrip is on the bottom the same way. one flange supporting the bottom, and one against the back. Get it?

I cant draw on the computer either, but I get what you mean now, sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers

Col