Stringfest Deloraine

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Stringfest Deloraine

Post by martintaylor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 am

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a review of the inaugural Stringfest held in Deloraine Tasmania last weekend. Stringfest was for luthiers, suppliers, guitar enthusiasts etc. It was great to meet up with some tone wood suppliers face to face. Tim Spitttle was there as well as 4 other tone wood suppliers. I must admit I ended up not being able to resist buying a back and sides set from each! At least postage of the timber to home was pretty cheap with Australia Post.

It was great to meet a few builders face to face too and to see/hold and play their guitars. Pictures in the forum are good but picking up and playing the guitars is better!
There were street buskers ranging from violinists to guitarists to cellists to singers to cigar box players. All ages accounted for.

There were workshops, Sustainability of Tasmanian timbers, Ukelele how to's, Cigar box demos etc and there were several concerts of both local and international musicians.

The town of Deloraine was very accommodating to all the visitors and they reckon they got about 2000 through over the weekend. Considering that's the town's population, they did really well. My wife certainly helped the local economy with purchases from most stores.

The organisers said they were really happy with the turnout and it will definitely be on again next year so I encourage anyone wanting another festival to visit to put Deloraine Stringfest on your calendar. I will certainly be trying to get there again.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Stringfest Deloraine

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 am

First I've known about this. Is there a website?

I probably wasn't told because Tim was scared I'd be waiting for him with a trailer at the Ferry terminal :mrgreen:
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks for the review Martin. Sounds like Deloraine ran a great little event and I hope it grows and prospers. 8)

Without having a go at any event in particular, I must say that I like these gatherings most of all when they are first starting out and full of enthusiasm and goodwill with no hint of pretensions bs...'That' only seems to arrive later on with success when a board or comity is establish. Call me a cynic by all means but to me it often seems committees have a magnetic attraction to a certain type, and when there are two or more of them in one place charged with making decisions, then a clash of these 'panel person-alities' seems inevitable. Once they've glove each others cheek, it leaves the rest all looking inwards to the distractions of 10 paces and the dueling egos at dawn, instead of focusing their efforts on running a good show....With that I reckon just as long as a dictator of pleasant disposition steps up to cease the reins, there's an awful lot good to be said for autocratic dictatorships...long live the King :D

Cheers

Kim

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 pm

kiwigeo wrote:First I've known about this. Is there a website?
Hi Martin,
I discovered it on facebook https://www.facebook.com/DeloraineStringfestTasmania and they so have a website of sorts http://www.stringfesttas.com/

And Kim, you might be right, I think this one was mainly organised by one guy. Hopefully committees won't take over and turn a racehorse into a camel.