Godin Acoustic tour

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Godin Acoustic tour

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 am

youtu.be/

Some interesting bits in here, doesn't show every step but an all round view of how one of the mass producers go about making their guitars. I like the 'captured' sanding on the radius dish.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Godin Acoustic tour

Post by Allen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am

That was a really interesting shed tour. Lot's of great ideas there if you wanted to ramp up production, and had some deep pockets as well.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 pm

In the video Godin talks about the upper bout area of the top "always working". This doesn't sound right.......even with my tone generator cranked up to full (50 watts) I rarely get any decent chladni patterns north of the soundhole. The upper bout on an acoustic guitar has a primarily structural function.

At 16:20 he talks about the machine that sets up the neck angle and how it is precise and that this is why every Godin acoustic guitar sounds the same. This doesn't sound right either.
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks for the link Nick, it was interesting and lots of cool tools. Very clearly illustrates the difference between building for fun and building for mass production.
And speaking for myself, not knowing what they are going to sound like is half the fun. If its crap I get to build another one!!
Richard