Piano timber

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

chappy
Sassafras

Piano timber

Post by chappy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Just wondering if there is any generic timber used in pianos.........suppose that depends on what country it was made.

I have recently came across a wrecked piano in a junk yard that had some nice 100mm x 100mm timbers in it. The grain was very straight and slightly pinkish. I thought it looked like Oregon in colour but could it be cedar?

Hope someone can shed some light on it as the piano is sitting in the open but the entire frame is still in good condition and could be put to good use.

Cheers

Alan

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: Piano timber

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Pianos that I've come across generally have spruce soundboards and supports. English and European pianos will probably be some type of European spruce of not particularly high quality so it won't be that stiff.

I use the 100 x 100 for back bracing in my instruments

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

chappy
Sassafras

Post by chappy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Bob,

As I have a box of brace wood already, I'll keep it in mind for a while.

Cheers

Alan

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:02 am

Bob Connor wrote:
I use the 100 x 100 for back bracing in my instruments

Regards
Definitely a non active back then Bob ?? :lol:
Craig Lawrence

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Yup. :lol: I do cut it up Craig. lol

Most of it has gone into Weissenborn backs which are damped by sitting on your knee anyway.

I do have an idea of making a double backed Weissy to get around this problem however.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

chappy
Sassafras

Post by chappy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm

If anyone is after this particular wrecked piano, but very worthy of salvage for wood, it is in a junk shop in Seymour, main road in on the left.

Alan

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:33 am

Bob Connor wrote:Yup. :lol: I do cut it up Craig. lol

Most of it has gone into Weissenborn backs which are damped by sitting on your knee anyway.

I do have an idea of making a double backed Weissy to get around this problem however.
Do it! :wink: My double backs are ideal for lazy giggers as they can be played right there in the case! :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 am

Bob Connor wrote: Most of it has gone into Weissenborn backs which are damped by sitting on your knee anyway.

Rather than a double back those Weissys needed what Mountain Dulcimer players call a "Possum Board". This is actually an additional back on which the instrument sits only sits separated by some distance holders, sometimes not even attached permanently.

Normally those possum boards are too close to the back to work really well. The minimum distance to the back should be about 25mm if the board is generously perforated, or up to more than 40 mm if it is just a solid board. A few slots in the sides between the two backs is not enough to make a huge difference (but still better than nothing).

This is what I came up with instead of ditching this almost never played, bad sounding cheap mountain dulcimer. Oh well, I still don't play it, but at least it looks a bit prettier (which wasn't too difficult to achieve! :lol: ).

Image Image

Just to stay on-topic: of course instead of firewood, piano wood would also do the trick:

Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.