bad news....for me.....

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

bad news....for me.....

Post by nnickusa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 am

Maybe not too awful for the rest of you.

I had a visit at the quack's a couple months ago, and discussed my super sensitivity to wood dust, and how building guitars leaves me quite literally breathless when it comes time to sanding. I work outside, usually, wear a dust canister respirator, remove my clothing with the respirator still on and shower immediately, but every time I have a sanding session, I spend the next couple days feeling as if I am suffocating slowly.....

So, his advice was to stop making guitars. mY answer was buzz off. I have since spent the last two months trying to finish what has become my last guitar. I'll stick with this one, as it's almost done, but then it's time to move on to another past time.

That's it for the bad news. I'm out of the guitar building game for health reasons.

The good news for you guys, if you're interested, is that I'll be selling my precious stash. Got about a dozen B/S sets and 6-8 tops of various species, colours, qualities, etc, that I'll be cataloguing in the next few weeks and offering for sale as I get a chance to take photos, etc. Also, neck timbers, bindngs, head plates, FB's etc.

I'm not inclined to give them away, and have been keeping an eye on what stuff costs, but I'll likely put them up subject to offer, and see how that goes.

If it doesn't all go here, I'll give eBay and gumtree a shot, and then just store them until I'm thawed out from cryo after a cure is found..... :cl

Seriously, Ive spent too much time investigating Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease to want to push my luck after having been a 35yr smoker......so, out it all goes.....

Check later tonight for my first listings. I've got the B/S and some other stuff out to photograph this arvo.......
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: bad news....for me.....

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Bummer, don't know what I would do if I had to give up wood, good luck with the next venture and sale Nick.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Very sorry to hear that Nick, and speaking of extreme cold surely you are too young to be called Walt Disney just yet?

Steve

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks. I'm really bummed, Jim. I was getting to the point, after ten builds, that I thought I was starting to get pretty good at this, but......

Steve, I got a few years left, if I stop. 51, but a bad smoking habit and allergies led to the current state of affairs.

I've started to put a few bits up, and will keep adding until I get thru the lot. Some of it is OK, some is really nice.

Anyway, if all my stash sells, i'll have enough to fund my new "hobby" which is just as much an obsession as this game, which is....... Knife Making.....

Bought this blank of Damascus steel to have a first go. I'll make a nice handle from a chunk of fiddleback Blackwood for it.....
Attachments
image.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry to hear that, too, Nick. Hope it all turns out OK!

Thanks,
GregL.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Nick

That is sad news, there but the grace of God........
Hope you make a rapid recovery and are still making
those great pizzas!
Bruce Mc.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:13 pm

That sucks Nick!

Stu

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear of the health issue Nick I can imagine your disappointment. But you've always struck me as a pretty adaptable sort of bloke so I'm sure you will carry your hand skills and creativity over to knife making very well.

Cheers

Kim

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Stu, that does, indeed, suck. But I'll get over it, and find another avenue to express my creative side.

And, thanks for your confidence Kim. I find the challenge to create more satisfying than just doing it right. I reckon I'd be trying something else before too long anyway. I love building guitars, but the only challenge at this point is perfection, and I doubt I have the patience for that.....

Besides, when i'm forging steel, I can actually smash the bastard with a lump hammer... :cl :git

Cheers,
Nick

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 pm

What a bummer! :(
Even being sure that there could be found ways to protect oneself very well from wood dust I absolutely understand your decision, and if I was in your situation I most probably would do the same. Its a radical solution but is will work at 100% from day one. In the end, exploring new fields without looking back will be the most rewarding approach to your problem.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Sorry to hear of your predicament Stu,

Not the end of the world though.....guitar making isn't the only super cool way top spend one's spare time. As others have said I'm sure you'll excel at knife making. Please keep in touch and feel free to put up some pics of your knife work here on the forum.

Cheers and all the best

Martin
Martin

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks Martin. I'm not too worried, and I think that knife-making will be fun. As I chef, it will also be a hobby I can put to good use.

I have enjoyed guitar making immensly, and will surely check in, as I am always amazed by the work shown here. I do have one last one in the works, which I'll post pix of in due time..

Cheers,
Nick

Cheers,
Nick

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:09 am

Sorry that your health has gotten in the way of a passion Nick but as our health is with us until the end it's most important to keep that in tip top shape for any quality of life :D
As others have said, be sure to keep visiting here and posting pictures of your knives. I know acquaintances gained through forums aren't quite the same as forging friendships in the "real" world but you've always come across as a top bloke and have fitted in well with the general feel of the place around here.
I didn't know you could buy lumps of damascuned steel! I was involved in making black powder guns (mostly flintlocks) some years back and have a barrel, lock plate and butt cap fashioned from Damascus steel, not only that but had the privilege of watching them being converted from two lumps of wrought iron and carbon steel, it really is an art knowing the 'exact' temperature at which the two metals will weld together.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:14 pm

What the others said plus a few!!
Good luck with the knives Nick, if they are as sharp as your guitars then all will be sweet.
And good luck giving up the smokes if you haven't already
Cheers
Richard

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 am

Sad to hear you are having health problems, health should always come first.

Respiratory illness is way more common than most people would believe with wood workers, especially guitar builders which commonly work in small environments with lots of exotic dust and inadequate filters and extraction.

I myself would have nights where I'd sit on the couch feeling like hands were squeezing my chest until i installed the two large room air filters in my workshop. In your case you might be past this stage, but it may just help you keep building if you really want to persist and I cannot imagine working without them now I know the enormous difference it makes to the breathable air.

Best wishes for your future projects and look after that health.

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Sorry to hear Nick, I can sympathise with you as I have allergies that has bowled me over for the last 8 months or so but the best I have felt in years was when I built my guitar now I am going to have a second go, was thinking of a acoustic bass now I might give a baritone acoustic a go, with the stash you have what would you recommend, back sides & neck.
Something I have found that helps build your immune system is "aloe vera" , every night my wife and I get a leaf out of the garden a make either a fruit juice or dairy smoothie, it also knocks arthritis pain on the head. Most people react negatively when I tell them but those that give it a try have positive results, one example is my sister, she wouldn't listen for years but when she did she got instant results.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to see if the boss hasn Aloe Vera in her gardern, or look into getting one. I'm willing to give anything a try, usually.

As for the timbers I have left? I reckon the Blackwood would work nicely, though the Myrtle set will likley come up nicely, and not be a combination you see a lot. I think I'd pair either with one of my bearclaw tops, because they are all I have left( :lol: ). The Zebrawood, if you like the look would certainly fit the sizing, and I've heard it is similar in working and tonality to EIR,though I've never worked with rosewood, so I can't say for sure.

But, the sitka is nice and these two sets are pretty closely bookmatched in the markings, while much bear claw doesn't.

The Rimu' would make a great baritone, I think, but the dimensions are probably too light, with the sides being a bit narrower than you'd find on a Dreadnought. It would make a great thinline baritone, if you wanted to explore that option. It also has a neck from the same timber, which I like these days.

Other than mine, I'd have a look on eBay for Barry Kerr's stuff, Jordy2Jah(I think) He's often got some pretty nice stuff up pretty reasonably priced, including Maple sets, Which I have seen used in acoustic basses, or the usual sources.

Anyway, there you go. I will look at Aloe Vera, and hope any of my rambling above helps you.

Cheers,
Nick

Cheers,
Nick

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm

My son-in-law and I are about to build a few guitars over xmass just for ourselves no clients, as soon as I said I was building a baritone he wants one too etc. etc. How much would it all add up to for the myrtle, bearclaw, Zebrawood, and rimu set w/neck etc. and if you have any other neck's left. I looked to late for some of the other stuff.
If your interested I can send you some of the aloe vera I use as I got heaps.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Sorry To hear Nick, Good Luck with it and anything else you decide to try in the future.

Cheers
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon