What the???

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

What the???

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 am

Feck me, USPS shipping costs aren't very consistent! A customer wants a refret job on his Fender but using Stainless wire so I thought "Right, go straight to the horses mouth" and went to Jescar's website. Yep, the size wire I want in a nice convenient set of 25 pieces, great! Added to cart, next step work out the cost of shipping, two options, the cheaper via USPS= U.S$41.08....what the.....? Jayzus.
So over to LMI and I added 3 4foot lengths (thought I'd over order in case I ever got another to do) to the cart, cost of shipping..... $15. How the hell do USPS work out their shipping costs? I imagine the jescar set would come in a nice little packet the same size as Jim Dunlop wire, 25mm wide x 70mm long? and the LMI stuff will presumably ship in a bigger package size (maybe coiled as this is how their evo wire usually comes) yet almost at a third of the cost. Buggered if I know! Sorry Jescar but the United States Postal Service just lost you a sale.
*Goes away shaking head in disbelief*
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: What the???

Post by Kamusur » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Its getting outrageous Nick but even I'm too embarassed to let on what i paid to get a lecky bridge posted from US this morning. :?

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Nick wrote:Feck me, USPS shipping costs aren't very consistent! A customer wants a refret job on his Fender but using Stainless wire so I thought "Right, go straight to the horses mouth" and went to Jescar's website. Yep, the size wire I want in a nice convenient set of 25 pieces, great! Added to cart, next step work out the cost of shipping, two options, the cheaper via USPS= U.S$41.08....what the.....? Jayzus.
So over to LMI and I added 3 4foot lengths (thought I'd over order in case I ever got another to do) to the cart, cost of shipping..... $15. How the hell do USPS work out their shipping costs? I imagine the jescar set would come in a nice little packet the same size as Jim Dunlop wire, 25mm wide x 70mm long? and the LMI stuff will presumably ship in a bigger package size (maybe coiled as this is how their evo wire usually comes) yet almost at a third of the cost. Buggered if I know! Sorry Jescar but the United States Postal Service just lost you a sale.
*Goes away shaking head in disbelief*
Nick I believe there are flatpacks and other options with USPS. Id talk directly to Jescar and discuss same with them.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:09 am

I regularly come across this sort of thing when I'm ordering all sorts of stuff. Especially from the USA. One web site business I deal with will tell me the shipping on something that will easily fit in a USPS flat rate box will be over $300. Email them and they tell me "no worries" it will be $48.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks chaps, I'll keep that in mind when next I order and find exorbitant shipping rates. Must admit, I'd never thought of actually contacting the supplier to see if they can work a cheaper option! :oops: I know some, especially those that use only courier companies (FedEx et al) refuse to use any other shipping method, guess they are bound by contracts e.t.c.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:18 pm

While there are some in the USA that really "get the international internet shopper" there are so many that if they can see outside there state, that's a big stretch. And seeing outside there country.....well, the world is flat and there be demons out there. No matter what, they just won't come to the ball game.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia