Holiday in New Zealand

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

johnparchem
Blackwood

Holiday in New Zealand

Post by johnparchem » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:43 am

We're backed and ready to go to New Zealand for the holidays. My daughter is a huge Lord of the Ring fan, so we have plans to visit many of the sites where they filmed the movie. At time though I think maybe she is taking things too far. I will be back to building in the New Year.

Happy Holidays!
Attachments
card for web.jpg
card for web.jpg (361.74 KiB) Viewed 13433 times

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Holiday in New Zealand

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:58 pm

ROFL.......she's definitely a hard core LOTR addict!! The outfit is great but she needs a bit more hair on her feet.

I love the bewildered look on the faces of the rest of the family.
Martin

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 pm

That's Gold :lol: :lol: :lol: .

She'll have a ball in Unzud.

Cheers.
Paul .

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:34 am

Very forgiving of the rest of the family there John! Hobbiton is well worth a visit apparently (haven't been myself, very expensive to visit for us locals but reasonable for ' overseas guests' with the exchange rate). Are you planning a visit down to the South and McKenzie country where Rohan was located and most of the mountain and battle scenes were filmed? Not a lot left to see except the mountains and plains as they had to disassemble the sets after filming as part of the deal but still very picturesque.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:32 am

Thanks all, after a couple of long flights with one lost bag we are in Auckland. Nick we plan to visit hobbiton, but we also are going to the south island to do quite a bit of hiking including visiting some of the sight where LOR was filmed.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:44 pm

So John how did your daughter go passing through New Zealand customs and immigration? They probably didn't bat an eyelid at the Hobbit costume and the clay pipe.....you'll see much stranger things while you're traveling around New Zealand.
Martin

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:25 am

When you're in Queenstown try to get out to Arrowtown to check out the Chinese miner settlement. The shacks built into the side of the hills inspired the design of the Hobbit houses Peter Jackson used in the films. Pretty sure the river running by Arrowtown and the general area was also used as movie sets. Be sure to say hi to Shania Twain if you run into her. She owns (or used to own?...been a while since I was there) a huge sheep station along that river. Beautiful place to go horseback riding.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Mark Fogleman wrote: Be sure to say hi to Shania Twain if you run into her. She owns (or used to own?...been a while since I was there) a huge sheep station along that river.
We can't use that one as bragging rights now Mark, I think her husband(Mutt Lang) got that one in the divorce settlement. She also had a property at Little Kaiteri (top of the South Island past Nelson) but they sold that one also. But Arrowtown is very picturesque especially around spring time when the blossoms come out.
"Jesus Loves You."

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Alas, I was hoping to meet Shania there. Sounds like a soap opera. We will try to visit arrowtown. My daughter had the LOR stuff off before we got to NZ. She does have it with her. We had a wild stormy night north in the bay of islands.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 am

johnparchem wrote: We had a wild stormy night north in the bay of islands.
Yes unfortunate that your visit coincided with that storm John! They do get a lot of rain up that way year 'round but never usually storms complete with lightning at this time of year! Bay of islands, my wife and I would be up that way in a flash if there was work for me. Absolutely love it around Paihia/Whangarei.
"Jesus Loves You."

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:52 pm

After much travel through NZ I have to say it is absolutely gorgeous. I had thought the pacific northwest of the united states was the most beautiful diverse landscape in the world. Now I am not so sure New Zealand is spectacular.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 am

johnparchem wrote:After much travel through NZ I have to say it is absolutely gorgeous. I had thought the pacific northwest of the united states was the most beautiful diverse landscape in the world. Now I am not so sure New Zealand is spectacular.
Glad you liked our little corner of the world John and hopefully your daughter's appetite for hobbits was satiated just in time for the last installment of Mr Jackson's second epic.
"Jesus Loves You."