Guitar amp speaker cover, Grill etc.

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Guitar amp speaker cover, Grill etc.

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi all i am making a great guitar amp from a 12v car Subwoofer. thsi is powered by mains and battery

I found a good tutorial online Acoustic Amplifier and was able to get one of the exact subs mentioned. (one of the last in the country of this discontinued product).

anyway it sounds great.

I am stuck trying to find some speaker grill, cover, mesh to protect the speaker. its so annoyiung. the local diy store had nothing except chicken wire, or some fibre board with holes in it. both would look tacky. another option would be to use fabric, but over time fabric can also look tacky when it fades.

so any ideas on some product i can use.

Purpose: the main reason for me making this amp is to get a better tone I use an electric stompbox, generally guitar amps don't sound good with stompbox as they are to high end, Bass guitar apms are good for the low frequencies but a guitar does not sound so good in them.

Edit: another option could be to just get a piece of plywood drill a hole, using a hole saw, in it near the centre and paint it black (dust could easily get into it). this would protect the speaker.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Guitar amp speaker cover, Grill etc.

Post by GregL » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Mickeyj4j (is that your real name?!),

Evatco sell grill cloth (http://www.evatco.com.au/product-category/grill-cloth/).
Or, you could wander down to your local Spotlite and buy some heavy duty cloth material, like I did for this cab:
IMGP1190_small.jpg
IMGP1190_small.jpg (86.49 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
faux leopardskin, very hard-wearing (it shows no signs of wear after 10 years).

Thanks,
GregL.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:31 pm

GregL wrote:

Thanks,
GregL.
Just watch out that stray gazelle don't wander past! :wink:

Hey Mickey, on my iPad so I don't have my same bookmarks but if you google tolex or grill cloth there's a few U.S companies that have anything Amplifier that you could possibly want if you are prepared to shop offshore.
Infact I just found this one here in NZ http://ampshop.co.nz/collections/grill-cloth
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:15 pm

GregL wrote:Hi Mickeyj4j (is that your real name?!),

Evatco sell grill cloth (http://www.evatco.com.au/product-category/grill-cloth/).
Or, you could wander down to your local Spotlite and buy some heavy duty cloth material, like I did for this cab:
IMGP1190_small.jpg

Thanks,
GregL.
great thanks for that. what did you put behind the leopard skin cloth is there some ribbing etc.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi mickeyj4,
mickeyj4j wrote:what did you put behind the leopard skin cloth is there some ribbing etc.
Nothing behind it. The speaker is mounted on a ply baffle board, and the cloth covers the baffle (including the hole for the speaker). The cloth is rather thick and heavy duty.

Thanks,
GregL.

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:19 pm

I have used shade cloth (available from bunnings I think) as a speaker grille. It is readily available, comes in many colours including black and faun and seems to have the right "stretch characteristics to pull it tight over the enclosure.
Richard