Workshop Space needed

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

psi78
Gidgee

Workshop Space needed

Post by psi78 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi All
I'm looking for a workshop space for guitar making. Strata in my apartment building have stopped my use of the roof space for anything other than getting rolling drunk on. I only need around a single garage size space. I mostly work with hand tools and don't have machinery, however if there is space I wouldn't mind adding a bandsaw, drill press and drum sander. As I would only be there on weekends, I was thinking around $50 per week. It's not much but all I can afford at the moment.

If you have space to rent or you know someone who does, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks
Si

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Workshop Space needed

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 pm

I think what you're looking for might be pretty hard to find. While you are only there 2 days a week all of your stuff will be in the shed space during the week while you are not. So you're essentially renting the space seven days a week... I doubt someone will be happy with charging you $50 a week to have stuff in their shed (unless they aren't using the space at all). Good luck to you though you might find someone with a free garage!

If you are in Melbourne there are Co-Ops that charge more in the order of about $25 an hour or $100 a day. They have bandsaws, thicknessers and jointers but as they are used by many people during the week you couldn't count on every machine being super sharp and ready for guitar making. As they are not your own machines you can't really expect them to be setup 100% correctly for your application...

Thornybury Co-op http://www.popandscott.com/

Stu

psi78
Gidgee

Post by psi78 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks Stu.
Your right, it will be hard to find. I thought I would put it out there anyway. I forgot to mention in the OP that I'm in Sydney. I've tried some local co-ops and membership is expensive when all I need is space for a few hours a week. If I can't find anything I might have to go that way.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 pm

Best of Luck! :D

When I went to a few local co-ops I realised that unless you find a good one, you really don't know how the people are treating the machines...It would kind of suck to put a really nice piece of wood through a thicknesser or planer to find that someone less careful had knicked the blade with a nail or screw...

Stu