Good music from cheap instruments

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Good music from cheap instruments

Post by Mike Thomas » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

https://soundcloud.com/iandate/wailin-blues

Ian Date playing an old plywood Alver Maton; Tom Baker playing a plastic Grafton alto sax. According to Ian Date, recorded around one ribbon mike on an old ABC reel to reel tape recorder.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Good music from cheap instruments

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 am

Thanks for that Mike, enjoyed every second of it :D Has that twenties vibe all over it. It's amazing what good players can drag out of any instrument. A jazz tutor friend of mine has one of Maccaferri's "plastic" guitars and the sound he managed to squeeze out of it sounded 'right', I played it and it sounded like a plastic guitar. :oops:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Re: Good music from cheap instruments

Post by Mike Thomas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 pm

That's right Nick. It is not absolutely essential to have a 1935 Selmer to play Django like, nor a Gibson L4 to be reminded of Eddie Lang. Nor a Selmer or Conn sax to play authentic sounding jazz of the era. Although I believe Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman played Grafton plastic altos when they couldn't afford "proper" instruments.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"