Retiring my Seagull:- What to get next?

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Retiring my Seagull:- What to get next?

Post by mickeyj4j » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 am

I have a nice Seagul Acoustic guitar. It's got a great sound nice pickup and I enjoy it. As its my only guitar I have. I use it in church, busking, and anywhere else I am playing. Sadly it has come time to retire this beauty as my main axe. But it will be kept in its hard case, with a M.U.D. (Multi Utility Desiccant) moisture absorber, and lovingly be palyed at home, or an occasional performance, from time to time (This was given ro me when my previois Applauase Guitar was stolen). Here are some images of this beauty.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now here comes the next question what to replace it with? Will need to save hard as not on much income. Generally I know I can get a decent guitar for around $600-$1000 NZD (New Zealand Dollars). Even around the $300-$600 mark I can get some good ones like Ibanez, fender or Greg Bennette.

I remember my first guitar I had, which was stolen, was a short scale Applause. I liked the tone, and look of them. I know when looking at guitars one day I can walk into the shop and think to myself wow this is a great guitar, then going in the next day may like a different one better so it can get tricky. But if you happen to come across a magic guitar no matter what day you are there it will always sound amazing. Like the first time I picked up my Seagull.

I know the best thing for me to do is go in and try out guitars to see what they are like to play. Things to consider
  1. Tone: both plugged and unplugged, consider the different wood types have different acoustic qualities.
  2. Feel: how it feels to play. neck width, thickness, frets, finger board ect.
  3. Action: is this right for me, not to high or low.
  4. Price: is it value for money, can I actually afford it.
  5. Quality: is the guitar built with good materials eg tuners, nut, bridge, frets etc
  6. Finish: this is not that important but worth thinking about
What I want to ask here is what you think. based on the abone list and anything else you feel is relevant to my situation. I also have these questions I want to ask.
  1. What brands would you recommend are value for money
  2. Is there anything to look out for secondhand.
  3. Is it a good idea to put on a new set of strings after getting a new off the shelf guitar. I would think most shops would leave the factory strings. They don't get played hard.
Thanks again for anything you can share.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

Cloverfield
Kauri

Re: Retiring my Seagull:- What to get next?

Post by Cloverfield » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

If I were looking around the $600 mark I'd try to find a used Maton on ebay or similar. There are always a few around at that price point.

Sounds like you have some very specific ideas about what you want though, so that might not suit you.
~~~Simon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Um.......just thought I'd remind you that you're on a forum surrounded by people who make guitars :mrgreen:
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:48 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Um.......just thought I'd remind you that you're on a forum surrounded by people who make guitars :mrgreen:
Yes they make guitars, they buy them, have owned them, service them, and other things so they do have lots of knowledge relating to this.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:11 pm

After thinking about this some more I am not going to fully retire this Seagull. I will use it in church and take to other places I play.

I will be getting a 2nd guitar to take busking and travelling with. It doesn't have to be a flash guitar but I do want good value and reasonable quality. I probably already have enough knowledge on what I would want to get. Not saying an Applause or Ovation at all, though they are nice guitars. I just like to Research things online and this is part of it.

So the real question I am wanting to ask is. What would be a reasonably good cheep guitar around the $300-$600 NZD mark, with decent pickup in it.

If any of you in NZ, particularly Auckland, make guitars in this price bracket that would suit my needs I would consider that also.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:38 pm

mickeyj4j wrote: So the real question I am wanting to ask is. What would be a reasonably good cheep guitar around the $300-$600 NZD mark, with decent pickup in it.

If any of you in NZ, particularly Auckland, make guitars in this price bracket that would suit my needs I would consider that also.
For $600 I'd consider taking on the job but I'm in Adelaide Australia and my builds take at least 12 months.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:15 am

kiwigeo wrote:For $600 I'd consider taking on the job but I'm in Adelaide Australia and my builds take at least 12 months.
As Hugh Grant was heard to say in the Divine Brown affair "Geez, your cheap!" :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Maybe another Seagull, but check it out carefully before purchase.
I've had 2 newish ones come to me recently for very high action which needed the saddle taken right down to just above the bridge
Appeared to have dodgy neck angle right from the factory