Couldn't help myself...

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Couldn't help myself...

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 pm

How is this guitar related? Granted it's a stretch... :lol: But that's why it's in "Anything Goes" after all.

So I'm rather new to the concept of "crowdfunding". I've heard of it of course, but never really investigated too far. That changed not long ago when someone put me onto a worthy cause. Hello. I found myself browsing through a whole host of potentials! Not a good idea. I'll admit, I'm occasionally wooed by new fangled gadgets, so it was I perused concepts for those... And suddenly, my wallet was in my hand and according to the receipt page, I'd apparently just helped fund this -

http://igg.me/at/micro-drone/x/11114513

I swear that's all I remember!! There was a limited number available.... and time was running down... and I've never flown a remote controlled thing due to fear of crashing very expensive equipment... and... and... Well it is pretty cool! :roll: Albeit, just a toy. Clearly, I'm not the only one who thinks this given they have now reached US $1'750'000, yes $1.75 million in funding. Despite this, that spontaneous purchase has probably come the closest to terminating my marriage. :shock: :oops:

Seriously though, the clincher for me was the FPV - the idea of racing the thing "Star Wars" style just appealed to the child within. Virtual reality flying of an aircraft without leaving the ground? OK, count me in! I mean, I remember the old tech show "Beyond 2000" right? :shock:

To be honest, I'm really looking forward to using it, just not anywhere in arms reach of my other half... :x I'm just sharing cause I'm kinda excited about trying it, but not allowed to mention it out loud round here... :cry:

Oh and on the side, I'm actually hoping the miniature camera module can be used to give me a live and virtual look inside guitars too - there is the related stretch I was mentioning. 8) Not to mention some interesting workshop perspectives... Aerial views of tree salvaging efforts anyone?? Wonder if I can claim that on tax... :mrgreen:

Jeremy.

*Please Note in the interest of full disclosure - having looked in to the rather odd (I thought dubious) link the page provided me (posted above), it appears they track the clicks whom I "refer" back to me, to provide "rewards" should any of those click throughs also fund the project. NOT MY INTENTION! Sure go ahead if you like and it will apparently benefit me, but do so fully knowing this now.

PS - I've now been banned (temporarily?) from perusing any crowdfunding sites... :|

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Couldn't help myself...

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:23 am

J.F. Custom wrote:Oh and on the side, I'm actually hoping the miniature camera module can be used to give me a live and virtual look inside guitars too - there is the related stretch I was mentioning.
I'll wait for the next generation of miniature drones which will be smaller, and equipped with a couple of robot arms so it can get into the guitar to glue on some cleats under repaired cracks, clean out shavings (new guitars) and dust (old guitars), and so on. :lol:

Nice toy though. Have fun when it arrives and don't let it carry you away from luthierie! :shock: :mrgreen:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:04 am

Don't know if the video will work offshore but
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/kiwi-dron ... z3hmfoLHOS
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:53 pm

(in my most condescending voice)

...Ohhhhhh. You know, good on you kiwis for giving it a go.

Then the aussies got involved...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-20/a ... ps/6634592

:mrgreen: :lol:

Yet another trans-tasman rivalry is established. 8)

Sorry Nick - it was just there to be said! :twisted:

Jeremy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:57 am

J.F.Custom wrote:Yet another trans-tasman rivalry is established. 8)

Sorry Nick - it was just there to be said!
As long as we don't give ourselves another stupid name with the highly original term of "black" in it! Such as the Black Drones or something stupidly similar :oops: All Blacks OK, but every team since has tacked the term black into their name with the hope that they will be looked upon with similar reverence, even Badminton jumped on the band wagon for a while with...wait for it (unless you've already guessed it).....the black cocks! Yes you read it right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_New_Zealand.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.