Windows 10

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Windows 10

Post by peter.coombe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Anyone done the upgrade to Windows 10 yet?

I tried today, and it is a nightmare. Still trying to get my new laptop to work again, and that has taken all day. At the moment it is no more good than a door stop. Currently on my old laptop on Windows 7 and trying to revert the new laptop to Windows 8.1. Curses to Microsoft, don't they test these $%^&*() things!!!! :x :x :x :x

My advice is DON"T.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Bob Connor
Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I've done three upgrades so far with no problems.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:14 pm

There are a few security concerns with Windows 10....here's one that needs addressing when you load up the new system: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/ ... stems.html

There are a number of features such as the one above that are not widely publicized and are set to "on" by default. You need to do a bit of rooting around to find how to turn the features off.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 pm

peter.coombe wrote: Curses to Microsoft, don't they test these $%^&*() things!!!! :x :x :x :x

Peter
Come on Peter...why on earth would Microsoft pay employees to test their software when they can get people like you to do it for free???
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:23 am

Heard two people yesterday at lunch saying the same thing Peter. Nothing works, and kicking themselves for installing it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 am

Sadly I went down the same path. I wish I had read this post but I was a day too late. I finally got it to work after it deleted all my programs (I wish they didn't use Mac terminology and now call programs Apps) Thankfully Win 10 keeps a list of all the programs it deletes and writes a PDF doc listing them on your new desktop. So far two days of pulling my hair out and it is working.

Cheers

Daryl

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:00 am

My problem is it boots up then the screen starts flashing and nothing works. The only thing that works is CTR-ALT-DEL and I can then get out of the mess. I have also had the blue screen, but thankfully that has stopped. Browsing the Microsoft forums and it looks like this problem is confined to laptops only, but it is a widespread problem with Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell and HP laptop owners reporting the same problem. My laptop is a Lenovo Edge, only about 6 weeks old. Solution is to install the latest AMD display driver. Tried that but made no difference. I can boot up in safe mode ok and am still working on it, have not reverted just yet since that almost certainly is likely to involve even more pain. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:13 am

I have a rule - never upgrade to a new version of Windows until SP1 has been released.

I run linux anyway on most my PC's. :) :D

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:10 am

YEP mine is an old Dell laptop. Now running OK on WIN 10.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Finally, finally I found this -

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to Microsoft"

It worked. Woo Hoo! No more $%%^&*&* blinking screen!!!! Has only taken around 20 hours to get to this. GGGRROOOAAANNN!!! Ironic indeed!

There are probably more problems to sort out, but at least I can now use the new laptop. What a PAIN.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 am

peter.coombe wrote:(1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to Microsoft"
Oh the irony, good to hear you managed to find a cure Peter.
I follow my work's advice (and like Felix) and hold off on updating until at least SP1, in fact we didn't bother with 8 for obvious reasons!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks Peter, I have turned the services off even though I went through the pain via another route and it's shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Still recovering programs as I need to use them. Went to do something yesterday and found most of the fonts I had downloaded over the last couple of years had been deleted. I guess you get nothing for nothing!

Cheers
Daryl

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:08 am

Everything seems to be working now, I am back on the new laptop, except the start button doesn't work. No start button and no search. However, if I create a new user they work. I can do without it for a while, need to get back into the workshop and actually do some work and get away from this screen.

Peter