Micro mesh pads

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

seeaxe
Blackwood

Micro mesh pads

Post by seeaxe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:41 pm

I might be a bit late to this party but are any of you classical players using these to buff your nails?
If you are not I recommend you give them try. They are as cheap as chips and I'm getting much much better tone.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Micro mesh pads

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:51 pm

I use a piece of 1200 grit wet and dry to work my nails but I generally use the callouses on the sides of my nails more than the actual nails when I play.
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:38 pm

I always considered Micromesh® as too expensive to get it near my bench. In the rare cases I feel the need to polish my nails I use a leather strop with buffing compound (guess I am lucky not owning a buffing wheel :lol: ). But as fingernails always got in the way when woodworking (and even more so when french polishing) I normally just cut them back as Francisco Tárrega did in his later years (not that I would play even remotely as well like he did though :roll: ).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 am

Hi Markus

Apparently Segovia was less than complimentary about Tarrega's decision not use his nails! Takes all sorts I guess. My nails break fairly regularly so I get to play both ways, but there any similarities between me and the two gentlemen above very definitely end!

My micro mesh pads were nz16 including postage for one packet so I thought them worth a try.
I haven't used them on a guitar yet but I can see they will be useful around tight areas, neck joints etc.

Cheers
Richard

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:08 am

seeaxe wrote:Apparently Segovia was less than complimentary about Tarrega's decision not use his nails! Takes all sorts I guess.
Rumours that never could get confirmed said that Tárrega had to give up playing with nails due to a fingernail disease. If Segovia believed those rumours it would be only logical that Segovia never played without nails. On the other hand Segovia was not a great admirer of Tárrega, so this could also have been a reason. But most probably Segovia simply felt more comfortable playing with nails!
BTW: the oldest documented nails/no-nails discussions (sometimes almost wars!) date back to at least the 17th century! :shock:
seeaxe wrote:My micro mesh pads were nz16 including postage for one packet
Way too expensive for me! :mrgreen:
Just kidding. But it's true that I never have used or owned Micromesh and it is also true that I sometimes rub my nails on the side of a water stone or on a leather strop. The latter leaves me with dirty nails though. :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 am

Check with your local nail salon and see where they get their supplies. I use a multi-grit emery board (600, 4000, 12000 Micromesh-like grit on one board) for nail, fret, nut, saddle and general polishing for small things. No difference I can see to Micromesh as far as lifespan and quality but ~1.00 US per and locally available. The backing is a stiff plastic foam and waterproof for wet work.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 am

Hey Mark thanks for that. I found something similar but it ships from uk and cost $20!
Have you got a brand name for your file?
Richard

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:17 pm

It is a private label product from a US beauty supply chain called Sally Beauty Supply and they don't have it listed on their website. They have an Irish operation called Salon Services and this is the exact one I have except a different product number: http://www.salon-services.com/salon-ser ... bo-buffer/ You may be able to find a similar product locally. Check the fingernail polish section of your local store that sells that kind of stuff. You may also be able to buy a few from a nail salon or at least find out where they get theirs.

I was poking around earlier this evening and found an old Micromesh 3 grit polishing stick with similar grits they gave out at a show I attended a while back. They still carry these for $1 US per but they are ~half the length and width vs the Sally product. Maybe your MM dealer can supply these.

Edit: The Large 3-way buffer here is similar: http://arrowbeauty.co.nz/uploads/Catalo ... uffers.pdf Price is another story. Loads of beauty supply stores in Auckland.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks mark. I have something similar here now but they look like what already have, stuck onto a block. I might give that a go myself and see how I go.

Did you think using these made your right hand playing easier? I certainly did but maybe that means I wasn't taking enough time getting my nails in shape before!

Anyway all the best and thanks again
Richard
Richard

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:47 am

I play mostly steel string so I see fewer splits and tears and get consistent feel finger to finger.