Accurate Tuner

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alan
Sassafras

Accurate Tuner

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm

On Monday after a great weekend attending the Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival, I had an appointment with the Repair Department at Maton to discuss intonation issues on my 50+ year old Maton C30 nylon string guitar. The meeting and advice received was very helpful and I am confident that I can have a go at addressing the issues (also suggestions received from Trevor Gore at the Festival were also helpful).

However, I will need to purchase a good, accurate tuner as my the clip-on tuners I currently use are OK to tune up but not up to assessing the intonation issues and adjusting the saddle and maybe the nut to get this instrument paying more in tune across and up the fretboard.

Any suggestions about which tuner to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Accurate Tuner

Post by demonx » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Korg make a professional quality rack mount tuner.

The older models are in a metal case with a needle, the newest version plastic with flashing lights. I do not know if the new model are as good as the old.

I have multiple tuners and only trust the one of them for intonation, the others are a bit sketchy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:12 am

Any form of Peterson Strobosoft (P.C/Mac or mobile device app). Peterson Strobe tuners have been highly regarded in the industry for yonks and a "Physical" tuner can set you back a small mortgage but the software is reasonably priced and well worth it IMHO.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions - I think I will start with the Peterson Phone app and see how that goes