EUROPEANS WARNED OF THE "DANGERS OF CREATIONISM"

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Joel,

No I havent read Woodmorappe's book but I dare say everything he says can already be found on the various Creationist websites and in the literature I already have in my library. Other Scientists however have read this book and there comments along with Woodmorappe's replies to same can be found here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/woodmor ... ology.html

Woodmorappe's book appears to contain a huge amount of data and looking at some of the quoted material on the above website I'd say that this book is going to be heavy reading for anyone who hasn't done Stage I Geology.

As far as both sides using outdated material goes that hasnt been my observation. I keep myself more updated than most people on goings on in the Creation "Science" movement as well as keeping up to date with current goings on in science and in particular The Earth Sciences. Im afraid the same cannot be said for most Creation "Scientists". A quick perusal through a few of their websites and a look at the dates on the scientific publications they spend most of their time pulling apart will verify this.

The debate becomes tedious for me once people start quoting Creationist material because I first have to go and check the accuracy and validity of same quotes. I just dont have the time or the inclination.

Cheers Martin

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Dear Martin,

Easy for me to say that i'm not a geologist, that's plain to see also, i'm gonna read your link that has a lot of information to decipher and will provide my link afterwards for the halo stuff but to get back where we were, in the meantime, while i make my homework, could tell me why these links that appear to me as secular contradict what you've said on catagenesis and temperature for the oil and gas formation?

If you want to read the other one, it's here:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... ictime.asp

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 pm

Hi brother Billy
BillyT wrote:If God is a God of truth why is it that these men did such if they believed him. Because they would not ask in faith, they would not hear. They would dismiss evidence, by simple convience to themselves.
That's it Billy, i suspect that you're talking about the papacy right? If they would have taken God's Word seriously, not allegoricly in terms of hermeneuticals, they would have known as even a 5 year old would have understood that the earth was round and not flat by reading the book of Job which is thought to be the most ancient book of the Bible, written many thousands of years before Galileo.
BillyT wrote:I don't believe the theory of evolution has all the answers by far, but science has shown the utmost evidences that the earth is not 7000 years old as we know it.
Got a question for you bro, is your approach to Scriptures one of eisegesis? I'm asking because it is when the "magisterial" approach is taken and the theories of evolutionism are applied to the Bible, that we then find the Bible has to be changed in order for everything to fit. An example that evolutionists often bring up is the question 'How could there be a 24 hour day at the beginning of creation when the sun wasn’t created until day 4?' They reason that without the sun there could be no normal days as we know them. Therefore the conclusion that results, is that those days were long ages. That is the magisterial approach. This approach is also called 'eisegesis'.

Mine is one of exegesis which is ministerial would be something like - first of all, the sun isn’t needed for a day to occur. All that is needed is a source of light and what did God create on day 1? Light! Genesis 1:3 and God said 'let there be light and there was light'. Secondly, because there was day and night, morning and evening and the day was numbered , we can assume that this was a normal 24 hour day. The ministerial approach says 'we know that God created in six literal days and because the sun wasn’t created until the 4th day, then let’s look at the sun issue and see how it can be worked out to fit within God’s time frame.' One can also apply the Berean principle here following the example of the believers at Berea - 'These were more fair-minded that those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether theses things were so'. Acts 17:11. (This
will be the approach used by the creationist apologetist.)
BillyT wrote:My experience is, the "Christian" spends far too much time on their butts listening to preachers, ministers...whatnot, and far too little time on their knees listening to Father in Heaven.
First bro, i'd like to know, are you a christian? Not all christians do that. Do you assume that i came to Christ with the convincing of a pastor or a congregation? Not, i came to Christ by personal conviction of the Holy Spirit Himself by the grace of God through faith and prayers alone and not by works nor good deeds so that i could not boast of any self-righteousness.

If you are a christian than you need to realize that God will not be inconsistent or illogical. He does not tell us all the hows, whys, and wherefores because man just couldn’t handle all that infinite amount of knowledge. Yet fallible man, whose theories are always changing, insists on telling the infallible Creator of the universe, what He did! Go figure. There has been a real change in our churches, schools, and bible colleges with regards to the authority of the Word of God. Because man insists on bringing his ideas born of a sinful mind, to Scripture, the result has been that there is a questioning of what you can really believe in the Bible. If you cannot take the first 11 chapters of Genesis as true history, then can you really believe in the rest of the Bible’s history? Can you really believe in the crossing of the Red Sea? In Jesus healing the blind? How about the virgin birth or the resurrection of Christ from the dead? Just what parts of the Bible are truth and what are fiction? 'Did God really say…?' Sound familiar? - the devil still uses that old trick on mankind because it works. This may not seem important but this type of reasoning eventually has an effect on the individual, the church and society in general. This is the point that many creation ministries try to get across, that the beginning of Genesis is the foundation for the rest of Scripture. If the foundation is rotten how can the rest stand? Psalm 11:3 'If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?'

The ultimate question is: Where do you put your trust? In fallible man who is sinful and makes mistakes and wasn’t there in the beginning or in the infallible Creator, who was there, who created everything, who knows everything and who cannot lie?

God gave us a very clear account of how He created. He used simple terms so that even a child could read the account and know what happened. If God meant something different then why didn’t He say so? Why would He use terminology to confuse people? God is not the author of confusion, but of power and of love and of a sound mind - 1 Corinthians 14:33. Although science does support the Bible if that science is interpreted correctly, it IS NOT NECESSARY to enable mankind to understand what God is saying in His Word. The Scriptures stand alone - man’s additional thoughts are totally unnecessary. Let the Bible interpret the Bible.

Love peace and understanding in Him

Your bro Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D