Fast Fret Good or not

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Fast Fret Good or not

Post by mickeyj4j » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:51 am

I have been using fast fret string cleaner for some time as it keeps the strings clean, and playing at their best. Imusuallynapplynit once a week to my guitars.

Recently I heard that although fast fret is great for strings over time the residue on the fretboard starts to soften the wood which means it breaks down a bit which can cause problems if needing a re-fret, they won't take and set properly.

So I am asking if fast fret is good or a bad idea to use.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Fast Fret Good or not

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:26 pm

If it's affecting the fretboard then it's definitely not good. What's in the stuff? I suspect it's mainly mineral oil like alot of fretboard products.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:19 am

kiwigeo wrote:If it's affecting the fretboard then it's definitely not good. What's in the stuff? I suspect it's mainly mineral oil like alot of fretboard products.
It says on tne container "contains white mineral oil" http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/1146 ... s-cleaners
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 am

Hmmm not sure about applying anything that contains unknown chemicals (even though it's a GHS product and trust/like them enough to use their strings on all my electrics). To me the only thing that should go on fingerboards is your fingers and natural oils so I'd be dubious about using anything else.
I'm firmly in the camp that for that 'new string' sound you can't beat new strings, especially with the internet, many American string outlets run bulk or multiple set deals you can pick up some fairly cheap strings. When I was gigging regularly (2-3 nights week) I used to wipe the strings with a cloth after every set (I have very acidic sweat and the poor unwound strings wouldn't have the longest of lives!) and replace the strings after every second gig.
After saying that though, I'm knocking what you are doing, if you like the product then continue to use it, just be prepared for possibly adverse effects when any work needs to be done fret-wise to your guitars.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Classitar
Gidgee

Post by Classitar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 am

I've been using mineral oil for a long time - its available in light or heavy grade - non drying - lightly applied 1x or 2x a year
I think it may help keep the fingerboard from drying out too much as well as cleaning it
The product is probably good but if you apply it that often the fb could get saturated

Dan Erlewine at Stewmac likes boiled linseed - lightly applied 1x or 2x a year
I haven't tried it yet but I might - semi seals the surface against moisture and dirt