Brexit

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Brexit

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:04 pm

The real reasons Britan is out of the EU

http://youtu.be/nZO9JGSScMQ
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Brexit

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:46 am

:roll:
The sad truth is, it was people like this that ticked the "out" box without fully grasping all of the facts, hence why Google reportedly spiked after the vote with searches on "What is the EU" and "What will it mean being out of the EU" by people in Britain and why it was passed!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Its easy to say the out vote was driven by ignorance but most commentators are saying it is more about the 30 year decline in living standards of what is clearly the majority of Britons, given that many in that situation would see that staying in is still better. I suspect many who voted out don't give a flying duck about the 'facts' as they are too pissed off to care.

Take a look at the growing earnings gap in NZ and the polarisation of wealth here, we have already created a society where you have to have money to get money and everyone is not born into equal opportunity. Sooner or later, unless something is done, we will face our own Brexit issue. Many people here also seem just as ready to blame immigration for all and any problems.

Just my view of course.
Richard

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:32 am

Having been born in England I grew up with the class system but could never understand why it was there (most of the 'upper class' had no money anyway and lived mainly off the fact of their peerage and 'family' name :evil: ), everybody is born the same way and we all go out the same way, so when we came to NZ back in the 70's is was a refreshing change and fitted my ideals perfectly.
As you say Richard, we now have the beginnings of a pseudo class system where people with money see themselves as being better than the rest and it saddens me. I'm all for somebody working hard and reaping the rewards and would be the first to congratulate them but a lot of the nouveau riche have made their money from doing bugger all 'productive' work where they actually produce something, merely being a 'middle man' or have made large amounts of money from other's toils.
And you are right, Immigration isn't the only factor driving this here in NZ but in Britain I think it's a major factor of why we've seen this result. It was interesting to see that the majority of the 'leave' votes, and ultimately the ones that 'swayed' it that way, came from the northern areas of England where it's been traditionally "Working class" (I hate using terms like that :oops: ) and the area that most of the immigrants have been either placed (There's that wonderful class system in action again! The upper class twats wouldn't want a family of Syrian refugees moving in next to them!) or have gravitated to because there are others of their nationality there. Increase in population (beyond a 'natural' growth rate), less jobs to go around, immigrants willing to work for less, no jobs for the natives, you can see why the vote went the way it did in these areas.
Sadly, because of 'tradition' and the fact there's a large number of unemployed, these areas are typically comprised of a poorly educated population that aren't interested in the big picture, they only see what is directly in front of them, (I'm not saying that is wrong, it's basic human nature after all). Plus the fact that they see a government (because of the EU agreement) bending over backwards to accommodate these 'newbies' whilst they struggle with there everyday life.

My two peneth worth
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.