Shark Tank

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Shark Tank

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:06 pm

While walking through the house to the shed one night a few weeks back as I passed the TV I heard the name "Ormsby Guitars". Curious I looked up to see the Shark Tank panel facing off with Perry so I sat to catch the story. I don't remember the exact details but got a glimpse of the thickness of Perry's wallet and plans for world domination with the aid of a shark or two, quite fitting really if you think of some of Perry's designs. The Sharks circled Perry with a curious respect while trying to get some sort of word from their own wallets and purses as to how to bait him in close enough to strike. In the end the berley stream wafted temptingly past Perry but it just wasn't the right mix to lure him in. Great to see an Australian manufacturer(hens teeth). Well done Perry.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Ormsby Guitars

Re: Shark Tank

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:02 am

It was certainly a cool experience! Now you know why I'm so anti the whole "there is no money in this business" crap.

All up 70+ minutes of the pitch was cut out, so what you saw was only snippets of the whole thing. There was a lot more infighting. There were also some offers made that didn't make the final cut. They also totally missed what the real pitch was for (via editing down from 85 minutes to 15), but that's ok, it still flowed enough for TV i suppose.

Before it even aired here in Perth, I had calls from people on the east coast trying to invest, or sell woods, etc. We sold 30 guitars before midnight.

By the end of the week we'd had over $3m in offers from investors. I've said no to everyone. I'd already implemented massive changes, and made big moves prior to the filming... and that was 8 months ago. By the time I headed over to Sydney for the pitch, things had started to really build up. I think the application went in during July, the audition was the end of August, and the filming was in October. But we already had our Korean production line setup and paid for by then, NAMM booked, etc etc etc

A few of the Sharks have kept in contact, with an email every now and again just to say hi. They don't need to do that, so it's nice that they do.

Next up, we have a USA production line being announced with one of the industry greats running it for us, some innovative subscription plans, announce a bunch of new stores, move into a nice big commercial factory unit we're buying, release our pickups as retail items, get a UV booth, import timbers in bulk for supplying luthiers that arent on this forum, etc etc etc. Lots to do...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Sounds like it should have been Perry making the offers to the Shark Tank investors not the other way around :)
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Now I get what you referred to the other day when you mentioned "Shark Tank", I don't watch much free to air TV. Didn't know you were on it, I don't watch the show. Have seen some of the older American version though. It seemed very fake to me. Most reality TV comes across as completely fake.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:43 am

kiwigeo wrote:Sounds like it should have been Perry making the offers to the Shark Tank investors not the other way around :)
Just heard this morning on the radio about a guy that pitched to the English version of that some years ago and not one of the panel invested in his "Tangle free" hair brush saying it was pointless and couldn't see a market for it. The guy ignored them and carried on with his invention despite them and has apparently just sold his company for $375 Million.
demonx wrote:Now I get what you referred to the other day when you mentioned "Shark Tank", I don't watch much free to air TV. Didn't know you were on it, I don't watch the show. Have seen some of the older American version though. It seemed very fake to me. Most reality TV comes across as completely fake.

It's all in the editing Alan :wink: The producers 'shape' reality to make for "good" TV for the masses. But I'm with you on reality TV, I've tried to avoid it like the plague ever since watching an episode of Big brother many moons ago, and the themes seem to only be getting worse!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 am

Well it was very real, I can assure you.

Shot in one continuous 85 minute session. No stopping, no restarts. That got editted down to 15 minutes. Obviously a lot got cut out. The editted version is close to a condense version of the full thing, but less chat about the offshore manufacturing, and nothing about our entire 'here's how we find and sell to clients by creating a community and getting them involved'. They did cut out a lot of infighting. They also cut out offers made that weren't relevant to the show.

I wasnt directed in any way other than 'just be yourself'. A lot of others were, and they even asked me to help out other hopefuls with their pitch and rehearsals.

I'd do it again just for shits and giggles.