Preparing for the next builds

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

seeaxe
Blackwood

Preparing for the next builds

Post by seeaxe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:11 am

It's persisting down over here and outside is a bit wet, to say the least. Not great bike weather
image.jpeg
so what better way to pass my soggy Sunday but some more revision!
image.jpeg
The next builds will be falcate braced so am going over the design book again before launching into the the build itself.

I'm going to have to get to grips with tap testing etcetera plus decide whether I'm going to stay with my normal zero fret or take the challenge of a compensated nut. No doubt once I've read that chapter again, I will have made my mind up.

Coffee is brewed, Stephanie Jones is on the stereo and everyone else has gone out. Coupled resonators here I come :D :D

(Actually, I have switch the stereo off, can't concentrate on the book while she is playing.)
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Preparing for the next builds

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:13 am

A decent sized scientific calculator is missing from the photo along with a copy of Stroud's 'Engineering Mathematics" :mrgreen:
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 pm

About 4 hours later.....up to section 2.4. The only things I am missing right now are a couple of Panadol and a glass of red. (Maybe that should be one panadol and two glasses of red....)

There's an HP 41C app on my phone and a 15C app on the iPad. Also a real 41CV in my office but the batteries have gone flat since I retired :D I won't be touching any of them unless I think I understand wtf the formulae mean. I gave my copy of Roark and Young to a mate when I left the office.

I still have a problem with signs in motion equations which is very frustrating. I will always find one or two equations I cannot replicate.

But, the process is reminding me how good this book is. If only my engineering text books had been this well written. The theory is always accompanied by an explanation of why it's worth looking at, and it's well summarised.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

Richard,

I skimmed over the earlier chapters of Design and focused on the latter half of the book. I did a few builds and then found myself delving into some of the modeling discussed in the early chapters.
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks Martin

I'm well into to Chapter 4 now when the some of the mathematical rubber hits the road and am starting to think about actually picking up bits of wood and doing stuff with them. I'll also need to set myself up to tap test. I downloaded VA and Audacity a while ago and had a little play at the time. I've since found my band mike (shameful discussion with No.1 son ensued, who I had blamed for losing it) and have two spare amps to use. Also have a few guitars I want to check out to see what I get (response spectra etc) before launching in to the builds.

Plus I wouldn't want to give the impression that I actually check through all of the equations...i'm certainly skimming anything that refers me to the Appendix - too scared to look in there!

I'm trying not to charge into building and find I missed something really important, but I suspect I will revert to character soon enough :oops: :oops:

If i get my act into gear ill try and post the set up process, as I haven't seen that on here yet, as well as the builds.

Still enjoying it so far! The last time I spent this much concerted effort on one textbook was when I had a couple of days off after my vasectomy and I wanted something to take my mind off it!! :o :o
Richard

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

The rainy season is settling in here in the UK too so I will be back in the shop soon.

Visual Analyser can seem pretty quirky when you first meet it. This thread covers the setup pretty well. In case you haven't found it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3696&hilit=visual+analyser

I suspect most of us are in pretty much the same boat as to all the maths and physics in book 1, gradually absorbing it and using a bit more each time we build.
------------------
Dave

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks Dave, I will have a trawl through that again. I did see it a while ago but had forgotten about it. No doubt it will be very useful.

Well I made it through to the appendices today. I have to admit the level of focus dropped through the intonation section, I'll need to go back to that. I will need to allow for nut intonation whether I go there or not. With my normal zero fret approach there's always more fretboard than you need anyway so I should be fine.

Cheers
Richard
Richard