Intonation and things

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Intonation and things

Post by Dave M » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:04 am

We have all talked a lot about intonation and we all know how we are already fighting against the fact that the equally tempered scale is a bit of a problem for fretted instruments.

So I was looking at a (wonderful) cello player the other day on the worldwide computer, and a couple of things struck me. First I really can't believe that such players can land on a note exactly with their left hand. They must do some micro adjustment soon after starting the bowing stroke. They must have great ears.

But secondly given that just intonation is what our ears really want to hear rather than equal temperament where do they go? They get a choice where we fretted players don't.

Clearly this will change if they are playing with fixed intonation instruments such as keyboards but the question still stands.

I would love to hear from some non fretted instrument players about this.
------------------
Dave

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Intonation and things

Post by seeaxe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:15 pm

I bet they can land on the note.

Those of us who play guitar will probably all have a piece or two that we can play with our eyes shut. I know I do, and if a knob like me can get his fingers to the right place then I would be dollars to donuts a good cellist, violinist etc will get their fingers to exactly the right place.

Whether the "right place" is just or equal tempered i dont know but suspect if they are playing in any kind of ensemble then it will need to be what everyone else is doing, e.g. in an orchestra, where they will play with lots of "fixed" note instruments, woodwind etc.

I agree it would be interesting to know if they change things when they play solo.

I love a nice cello. I sat about 1 metre away from one at a concert in a church once and I left wondering how difficult it would be to build one and learn to play it. Never seen a leftie one though so gave that idea up.
Richard