Heat lamp fox bender

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alan
Sassafras

Heat lamp fox bender

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:12 pm

I’m just commencing my second guitar build. The first, done under the guidance of a local guitar maker has taken four years!! I thought, having been interested in guitar making for many years and collected and read many books on the subject that, when I retired, I’d make a couple a year - well that’s not going to happen. 😀😀

Seeing I’m so slow and now, realistically being a septuagenarian, I won’t make lots of instruments as I envisaged, I would like to complete the a Fox style bender I commenced years ago. It was based on the drawings in Jim Williams book and uses incandescent globes as a heat source. I know most makers are now using heat blankets but I can’t really justify the cost due to my low productivity.

My question is, if I substitute 275W heat lamps as used in XL-tastic style bathroom heaters, will two lamps be adequate and from a safety perspective, is there a way of accurately monitoring the temperature to avoid burning the sides or even worse starting a fire.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Re: Heat lamp fox bender

Post by Bruce McC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 am

Hi Al
I used 3 x halogen bar lamps 110W. Lined the inside of the bender with a reflexive mylar film that all good hydroponics shop sell
and monitored the temp with a digital thermometer. I am happy to lend you this bender if you can make it to the other side of the bubble.
The only body form I have that fits this bender is a Ramirez.
Bruce Mc.

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:34 pm

G’day Bruce MCC
Long time no see.
Thanks for your reply.
We must catch up - I’ll send an email.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm

[quote=Alan post_id=94117 time=1615785125 user_id=652

My question is, if I substitute 275W heat lamps as used in XL-tastic style bathroom heaters, will two lamps be adequate and from a safety perspective, is there a way of accurately monitoring the temperature to avoid burning the sides or even worse starting a fire.
[/quote]

A few important notes if youre making a heat lamp driven bender.

1) make sure lamps are fitted into a ceramic lamp fitting not plastic
2) run the lamps off a timer....that way if you forget they won't burn away for hours and incincerate your house.
3) monitoring the temperature. I just used preserving pan style probe thermometer which I stuck under the side to monitor temperature
Martin

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Hi Martin,
Thank you for your helpful reply.
I have ceramic lamp holders.
Thank you for suggesting using a timer - that’s a great idea. I’ve also thought of including a dimmer to attempt to regulate the temperature.
I’ll certainly investigate a temperature probe as suggested as thus is the main thing I was concerned about - knowing the temperature when using these heat lamps as they can get very hot.
Thanks again

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 am

Hi Alan,
I've been using 3 x Tastic lamps and just to confirm the advice from others here's a shot of one side.
I've been using the plastic bases and they don't tighten up too well. The lamps tend to flop about a bit at times. They're also a bit cramped in there.
I think it's time to consider a heat blanket😊
Attachments
WP_20210402_13_54_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20210402_13_54_52_Pro.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 15488 times

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Sun May 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Wow Pat,
That looks like you may have just avoided a major disaster.
It’s why I’d like to be able to monitor the temperature.
Cheers
Alan