Inherited Tools

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Inherited Tools

Post by Dave M » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:37 am

I inherited a bunch of drill bits from my wife's father many years ago. Still when I rifle through the tobacco tin looking for the right size I think of him as a skilled mechanic repairing machinery in a factory in the midlands.

As an amateur I found it hard to justify the cost of a proper thickness gauge so have been using a home made version which is OK. But recently through contacts I was able to buy some tools from the widow of a well regarded double base builder who worked nearby in West Somerset. Ron Prentice.

He was far more of a craftsman than I will ever be but each time I use it I like to think of how often this tool would have been in his hands.

Sentimental maybe. But as I still use some inherited tools from my father I like the sense of continuity. A connection with previous crafts people can somtimes cheer you up.
Attachments
thickness guage.jpg
------------------
Dave

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Inherited Tools

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:19 pm

I would love to acquire that tool, or something similarly useful and with a nice history. I have sometimes been the recipient of a box full of old tools from a friend or work colleague who says: "I was cleaning out my recently departed Dad/Uncle/Neighbor's shed and found all this great old stuff. I know you do woodwork so I want you to have it all". Sadly, it is invariably junk - now relocated to my shed. But one day there will be a gem in that box, like yours.

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Inherited Tools

Post by Dave M » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 am

Thanks Mark. I like to think I paid a reasonable price for the gauge and some nice small chisels. I work on the principle that you always say yes! A bit of wood or whatever... I acquired some lovely mahogany a while back from a clear out which has formed the head blocks of several guitars.

It is a bit of a problem that the tools of a deceased worker never seems to reflect the real value of the workshop that they developed.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave