Baritone Electric Neck Template

Instrument plans that are available on the internet free of charge. Please add any that you find here.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Yeti
Wandoo

Baritone Electric Neck Template

Post by Yeti » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone had a template for a Baritone Electric neck, or advice on how to cobble one together from the current plans we have. I'm helping a mate with an SG build and he wants to make a 27" neck for it. We have some wonderful blueprints for everything but the neck shaft, any advice?

We planned to graft the neck template to the headstock and tenon joint, this should work right?

Cheers
Ben

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Baritone Electric Neck Template

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:23 am

I don't understand why you need plans?

Work out your scale length. Work out your board end width, work out your nut width then make the fingerboard.

Sit the fingerboard onto your neck blank and then draw some straight lines and carve the neck.

Instant plans straight on the timber.

Yeti
Wandoo

Post by Yeti » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah I consulted with a couple guys on another forum and they took me through the process of using fretfind to work out the neck template which is basically what you have suggested.

I'm very new to building mate, and haven't touched wood since high school+/- 15 years ago so I'm still getting to grips with the alchemy involved, I don't stray much from the comfort zone :?

I assume that if I wanted to convert a template like the one I have for an SG to a 7 string at a later date the process would basically be the same?

Cheers
B

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:17 am

Yeti wrote:I assume that if I wanted to convert a template like the one I have for an SG to a 7 string at a later date the process would basically be the same?

Cheers
B
Forget about templates to start with, as if you don't understand the A to Z's first, then the templates could get you in trouble if you try to make variations.

Use templates for routing cavities and tracing body shape or headstock silhouettes, that is it. Use calculations to layout the guitar.

Yeti
Wandoo

Post by Yeti » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 am

OK man, I get your point.

Thanks.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:40 pm

demonx wrote: Use templates for routing cavities and tracing body shape or headstock silhouettes, that is it. Use calculations to layout the guitar.
+1

Im an acoustic builder but I always work to a set of drawings. Doing up detailed drawings gets you into the habit of understanding the geometry of a guitar and it also allows you to identify problems....best dealt with at drawing stage than while standing with a router in your hand wondering why your neck doesn't quite fit into the body. Simple things like the string runs from the back of the nut to the tuners is best sorted before building starts....nothing worse than stringing up your build and finding that a string takes a scenic route from the back of the nut to its designated tuner post via an adjacent tuner post. It might work ok but it looks dreadful.
Martin

Yeti
Wandoo

Post by Yeti » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:16 am

Yeah thanks guys, I will do so when I come to coming up with plans for the SG. It probably means I may post a few more annoying questions :D But I get what you are saying.

Its going to be a bit of a transition because for my first build I plan to clone one guitar I already have, which won't really require much in the way of conversion, but I see now I should go through the exercise of planning, measuring and consulting the blueprints for the guitar to get in the habit.

I'm intellectually comfortable with the idea of cloning a guitar, but the thing that wigs me out is converting one design. Anyway let the odyssey begin.