Nut / saddle compensation / tricky verification

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

edvinguitars.fi
Gidgee

Nut / saddle compensation / tricky verification

Post by edvinguitars.fi » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 am

I completed a short mini-project and created new saddle-nut compensation for my low action setup by using Greg's excellen spreadsheet.

I encountered a positive problem: the perfomance is probably better than my measurement equipment! namely, I tested 5 different mobile/PC based tools and got quite different results.

For the sake of simplicity, I recorded a short video of Peterson products I have. To my surprise, the E string result varies 0..-14c using these tools. Makes me ask a question how can I validate my setup if the measurement accuracy is so bad?

As a computer / digital design engineer, I assume the processor load/ oscillator variance / windows / Android etc peculiarities may affect the results, and I am thinking the most accurate one is the dedicated portable Peterson tuner. Which, unfortunately, does not show any cent scale differences :-(

What do you use to validate your intonation?

https://youtu.be/ryqI5HT07CI

Jani

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Nut / saddle compensation / tricky verification

Post by Dave M » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:16 am

I use AP Tuner running on Windows. I like it for the large display and it does give you cents. It does do some other clever stuff which I don't use.

I don't think I have seen the variation that you refer to except when fretting notes where all sorts of havoc breaks loose.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nut / saddle compensation / tricky verification

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:06 am

+1 for AP Tuner
Martin