Carbon Fibre

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bouli
Gidgee

Re: Carbon Fibre

Post by Bouli » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi all,
For those who are not in Australia, i've been using this produt http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/ca ... 000mm.aspx
on two guitars. I worked very well.

Pascal.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks Pascal.

I fixed up the link.....coding was a bit wonky and link wasnt working. Should work now.
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:57 am

Trevor Gore wrote:...

The fibre is 3k tow, 198 gram/1000m, which is what it says in the book. ...
In the states I am finding a product: Weight: 5.7osy, Weave: Plain Tow Size: 3K, Thickness: .010" which I think is very close to the above listed fiber.

I am a bit confused about the gram/1000m (Tex) called out in the book and in the post above vs. g/m^2 that was 198 in the Toray product chart in the quoted post. I am assuming I can use imperial equivalent ounce/yard^2. 5.7 oz = 192 g/m2 which is close to the weight in the product listed above given that the other parameters are close to the same (3k tow, .254mm. )

Thanks for any help I am just about ready to buy some fabric, but had to do a bit of investigation to understand what I am buying.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 am

If I remember all the detail correctly, when I looked up the spec of the CF cloth I was using, the Toray documentation said 198 grm per 1000 metre of yarn in the cloth and that was the most descriptive identifier I could find at the time. I couldn't find a spec on the cloth itself until the Toray website had been revised and I wrote the earlier parts of this post. As it turns out, the numbers are coincidentally the same: 198 grm per 1000m of yarn in the cloth, with the woven cloth being 198 grm per square metre. The yarn is 3k tow. I think the weave is called a plain weave. It's just one over one under in both directions all through.

I'll leave you to work out the nearest equivalent in the weird units you guys use, John! :D

A number of people have just used whatever CF yarn they had to hand, which is OK once you've figured how it performs. On occasions I've doubled up on the top strands on the primary falcates and found ~5Hz or so increase in T(1,1)2 due to that. So it does matter how much you use if you are pitching to a tight target zone.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am

Thank you,

I think the stuff I ordered will be close. I am just starting a project building the falcate braced SS you have in your build book. A bunch of new jigs and templates to make and new experiences. I am looking forward to it.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 pm

That's great John. Let us know how you go!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 am

Trevor Gore wrote:That's great John. Let us know how you go!
Indeed John! Even chuck up a few pictures if you feel inclined. I still haven't read my copies of the books :oops: (sorry Trevor :oops: ) but am keen to see others and their builds, it all helps us 'conventional' builders tie the "maths" side in with the practical.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 am

Sorry for digging up an old thread...
Martin is this what you got?; http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/prod54.htm
How did it go?

Thanks

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:17 pm

felix wrote:Sorry for digging up an old thread...
Martin is this what you got?; http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/prod54.htm
How did it go?

Thanks
Yes that looks like the stuff I use for laying on and under my falcate bracing....
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:19 am

That's 12K tow which is 4 times the 3K pulled from the fabric that is specified.
It will obviously increase the bracing stiffness.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:13 am

jeffhigh wrote:That's 12K tow which is 4 times the 3K pulled from the fabric that is specified.
It will obviously increase the bracing stiffness.
Correct...but I usually separate the stuff I have into at least 3 sections before laying it down.....
Martin

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 am

You used to be able to by CF tape off that site with 3k tow in it but they don't do it anymore, something about the way the machine works was giving them trouble. So if you want 3k tow off them you have to buy a metre of the plain weave mat that uses the 3k tow. About $90 minimum of a metre. Thats all I could find on the site so I phoned to confirm and bought the mat. You may be able to get a shorter bit than the full metre if you phone them and have a chat cause they may have odd sized offcuts.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:04 pm

If you search Ebay for nhstore527 for they sell 3k tow in small rolls. I bought some last year and had no troubles dealing with them.

Better still here's a link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261738433072
Matt