Carbon Fibre

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Carbon Fibre

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Trevor
I am new at using carbon fibre in any form other than CF/epoxy preformed.
In the book you call for using cloth and strands from "cloth woven from 198gm/1000m yarn"
I can't find cloth listed in these terms but I can find plain weave 198gm/m2 woven from 3 k tow
As far as I can work out 3k tow is about 200gm /100m
Is this the right one?

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Carbon Fibre

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Jeff, the actual product I use is called "198G TORAY" (Toray is a company that makes CF). I get it from Fiber glass international and their product code is F02338. The FGI product catalogue is available from here: http://www.fgi.com.au/?q=fgi-product-catalogue and download "High Performance Fabrics".

I researched the Toray carbon fibre website (which seems to no longer exist, http://www.toraycfa.com/) to specify the product in more general terms and came up with the designation in the book. At this stage, I can't check whether it was right or wrong, but I remember being pretty thorough about it at the time.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Trevor.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 am

Hey Trevor, I am not having any luck with these websites, any other ideas where to look for for carbon fiber cloth?
Thanks
My excuse is "I'm new"

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 am

Also Trevor would you please look at these and let me know if it is suitable .

Tow for braceing http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category9_1.htm

Bridge plate http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category4_1.htm

Thankyou and Cheers
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 am

It looks like Fibreglass International has changed its name to Nuplex Composites. In Sydney area, they're still at the same place:

14 Clearview Place
Brookvale NSW 2100
Postal: PO Box 392
Brookvale NSW 2100

Tel: (02) 9939 1399
Fax: (02) 9938 5826

http://www.nuplexcomposites.com/australia/?q=node/6

Give them a call and see if they still stock the stuff I mentioned above. Whilst you're at it, try to get the equivalent tow numbers and let us all know!!

Tod, I've not used those products so can't really say anything about them. Would suggest calling Nuplex as above.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 am

I have some 75mm wide cf tape that is called 200gm/sqm. Can't see much difference between 198 and 200. Looks about the right size. Most hobby/model shops have this stuff. For hobby type applications this cloth seems the most common size/weight.

You only want a simple weave, not bi directional or twill or its harder to pull apart and the rove will have folds and twists in it.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:55 pm

jeffhigh wrote:Hi Trevor
I am new at using carbon fibre in any form other than CF/epoxy preformed.
In the book you call for using cloth and strands from "cloth woven from 198gm/1000m yarn"
I can't find cloth listed in these terms but I can find plain weave 198gm/m2 woven from 3 k tow
As far as I can work out 3k tow is about 200gm /100m
Is this the right one?
Jeff, where is that in the book,I couldn't find it, Thanks
My excuse is "I'm new"

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Dominic wrote:I have some 75mm wide cf tape that is called 200gm/sqm. Can't see much difference between 198 and 200. Looks about the right size. Most hobby/model shops have this stuff. For hobby type applications this cloth seems the most common size/weight.

You only want a simple weave, not bi directional or twill or its harder to pull apart and the rove will have folds and twists in it.

Cheers
Dom
Hey Dom, what would it be used for hobby wise?
Thanks
My excuse is "I'm new"

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:48 am

Would a regular 5 minute epoxy work for laminating CF fabric and walnut together for a bridge?
My excuse is "I'm new"

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 am

No, it does not cure hard enough. get some proper stuff.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks Jeff, what do you mean "proper stuff"?
My excuse is "I'm new"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:12 pm

West 106 resin with 206 slow hardener for laying up or 207 special coatings hardener for clear coat/pore fill.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 am

trevtheshed wrote:West 106 resin with 206 slow hardener for laying up or 207 special coatings hardener for clear coat/pore fill.
I couldn't find West 106 only 105, but I did find 206.
My excuse is "I'm new"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 am

Sorry Scott. That should have been 105 resin. Apologies.

Don't use the 206 hardener on pore fills/clear coatings. It has a tendency to bloom down the track, whereas the 207 is formulated to avoid that.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

I think I'll just use the the stuff for making laminated bridge pieces.
My excuse is "I'm new"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 am

I've had some more enquiries about the specification of the carbon fibre that I use and after a lengthy search I managed to get the following information from the Toray website. I can't get a link to work directly to the correct page, however this:

http://www.torayca.com/en/index.html

gets you close. From here, look for the "Product lineup" panel on the right and hit "more details" under "Torayca Fabrics" and it will take you to a table of cloth specs. The product I am using is either the CO6343 or the CO6343B. I don't know what the difference is between these two, other than the B designation of the yarn. It may contain a binder (???)

You can get the material properties of the fibre by hitting "more details" under "Torayca Carbon Fiber" again, in the panel on the right.

The fibre is 3k tow, 198 gram/1000m, which is what it says in the book.

Here is a summary table of the products:
Toray Table Small.jpg
Toray Table Small.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 30874 times
Now you should be able to source something similar wherever you live. The strands that I use for overlaying braces are just yarns (which contain 3000 fibres) pulled from the woven cloth.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:57 am

Hey, I found some with similar specs
http://www.solarcomposites.com/composit ... on.html#3K
My excuse is "I'm new"

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am

Hi Trevor, I am using 12K tow that I got from a guy in the UK...it is called IM9 and is an industrial roving ....What difference would there be in using 4 times the fibre and I seem to be doing...?? I have my second Falcate box closed and it taps out at about 185Hz without the bridge...I amusing 9mm high braces so I am surprised that I am so low. I didnt do any edge thinning on my last one either because I was at 180Hz sans bridge... I barely did any on this one but it dropped 4 Hz .You mentioned that you always seem to come out on the stiff side. I think that I will go up to 10mm high and see if that brings me higher at the bound box stage...Everything seems good otherwise :)

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:26 pm

John, if you have found a method/materials that work for you, stick with it. That's basically what I did. There's no harm in using more CF if the mode frequencies are in the right places.
woodrat wrote:You mentioned that you always seem to come out on the stiff side.
I'm still not sure why that always happens, but it always does. I don't have any better materials than anyone else, so all I can put it down to is working really clean, gluing only fresh surfaces and making really closely fitting joints. On the other hand, using mainly hand planes might be having more effect than I've been giving credit for. For sure it helps with the tight joints, but might also be causing less fibre damage than sanding, even after going through all the grit grades. I saw a guitar a while ago where the top had been sanded to thickness, with the braces glued straight on to that surface. So there's ~0.5mm of plate thickness on the inside of that guitar incapable of doing anything but adding mass.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm

I may not have given enough credence to the planed vs sanded surfaces factor. I glued my laminates together from sanded pieces. So my nominal 5 mm thick braces may in reality be 4.5ish...Hmmm...It is not much but I will make sure I switch to only planed surfaces for this and see how I go. If suddenly I spike up to ~200Hz using this technique at the closed box/unthinned edge edge stage then I know there possibly has been a discovery made:) Lutherie at the micro level indeed....any advances to the Nano? :D ...I love it!

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 pm

trevtheshed wrote: [...] I saw a guitar a while ago where the top had been sanded to thickness, with the braces glued straight on to that surface. So there's ~0.5mm of plate thickness on the inside of that guitar incapable of doing anything but adding mass.
Wow! I imagined this would be quite a bit less than half a millimetre! How do you determine or estimate the only-mass-adding thickness? Is this typical approximate value you got from your free plate measuring respectively free plate tap recordings (when figuring out the modulus of elasticity of a top half)?
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

The ~0.5mm was a "guestimate" based on grit particle size. A wide-belt sander in stock removal mode could be using abrasives of 40 (coarse) to 60 (typ.) to 80 (also fairly typ.). The grit average diameters are ~0.45mm, ~0.27mm and ~0.2mm. Add a bit of dispersion (less with higher quality abrasives) and you can see how you could get to ~0.5mm of ploughed up surface and subsurface damage. The top I was referring to I would guess was sanded to 60 grit at best - it was real easy to see the furrows!

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Thank you Trevor. There was obviously no scientific laboratory work necessary when you figured out these numbers. That 60 grit final sanding sounds really impressive (at least when reading about it but maybe not that much when playing that guitar) and was something beyond my imagination.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 pm

I've just ordered some 12K CF tow from this mob: http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/

Will report back on service and suitability of product.
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey Martin.

I've ordered some tow, tubes and rods from them a few times previously.

Limited range unfortunately, but decent prices and orders have only taken a few days.

Jeremy.