Specific vs Monopole mobility ?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ChuckM
Wandoo

Specific vs Monopole mobility ?

Post by ChuckM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 am

It seems that the terms Specific Mobility and Monopole Mobility are used interchangeably in the book. Is this the case or did I miss something ?
Chuck Morrison

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Specific vs Monopole mobility ?

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

They have the same technical definition in that they both have the formula 1/sqrt(km). What the k and m specifically refers to makes the difference. When k refers to the stiffness of the top in the way that I recommend measuring it and m refers to the equivalent mass of the top, then you have monopole mobility. Hopefully, I was consistent in the book!

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:46 am

Hey Trevor, I am wanting to measure the monople mobility of 2 classical guitars I have just finished and I have a questions I could not find answer to in the books.

1. should this test be made with strings on or off? If the strings are left on, and they pull the top up a bit the measured deflection may be higher because the top is not in a static state. I might also be lower if the strings counter act the load at the bridge somewhat.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:03 pm

I've mostly done it with strings on. On the deflection test, the principles of linear elastic structures and superposition apply, so it doesn't matter. On the tap test I get pretty much the same result, strings on to strings off. You need the saddle in because of the mass and the strings add a bit of mass also. The tension doesn't seem to affect things except that a bit of string tension makes sure the saddle travels with the top.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks, these guitars were closed up before I got your books so it will be interesting to see how they go in terms of efficiency. And I love being able to put numbers on things. Math does not lie.
The modes need a bit of trimming but not too much and I will compensate the saddle in a week or so. Didn't do nut compensation this time. But I'm set up to do the whole thing next time from string testing on. Should be fun.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!