Compensated nut meets fretboard question

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colin north
Sassafras

Compensated nut meets fretboard question

Post by colin north » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Trevor,

Just had a few days looking over the books.
It's a great read - Worth every penny.
A quick one - from reading the build book, it appears the nut's ledge (half way up its face) after compensation is flat where it meet the (radiused) fingerboard.
I just wondered how you treat this meeting point? Presumably you don't just leave a sharp edge sticking up.
I had 3 reads through last night and couldn't see anything in the text or from the pictures.
Hope the question makes sense!

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Compensated nut meets fretboard question

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Colin,

I usually set the outer edges of the nut's compensation ledge about flush with the outer edges of the fretboard, so that from most angles you don't actually notice that in the centre of a curved fretboard the ledge is below the level of the fretboard. Fig 21.24 probably gives the clearest indication. It's not something that "jumps out" at you, as you've already seen from the pics. I usually have to point out the compensated nut to new customers!

If this doesn't make sense, I misinterpreted your post. If that's the case, have another shot at the question and I'll have another shot at the answer!

colin north
Sassafras

Re: Compensated nut meets fretboard question

Post by colin north » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 am

That's a clear answer to my question - thanks!