Best tuner

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Best tuner

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Ok I want to get into the exciting world of nut compensation ( with the attendant saddle changes)
What is the best tuner for this.
All conventional wisdom says "you gotta have a strobe tuner cause it's the most accurate"
But If I want an actual reading in cents plus or minus, I have not seen a strobe tuner that will do that.
At the moment I have a Korg pitchblack on my pedalboard which is great for regular tuning and an old seiko which gives me the cents reading but is rather unstable.
Any suggestions?

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Best tuner

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Have you had a look at Peterson's StroboSoft? This software will give you a reading in cents (+/_) or hertz as well as the strobe window that the hardware versions have Jeff. I used this to tune the bars on the Vibes recently and it proved a godsend as I was able to leave the bars 4-5 cent sharp of where they have to be once they come back from the Anodisers. It also has an allowance for you to 'customise' or create your own prefered temperaments as well as tune any Buzz Feinten armed guitars. Also has the tap tuning function (Which is what I used). Comes in PC version or if you own any i product, it has programmes for that too, very handy if you have an iPhone as you don't need to cart any extra gear around with you.
Also has detachable, spectrum analyizer, oscilliscope or pitch graph 'units'. Great piece of kit I reckon and for what it does (acurracy e.t.c), compared to their hardware models, a reasonable price to boot.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:55 pm

I use AP tuner in that application: http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

If you run through the options you can see how all the harmonics rate, as well as the fundamental.

The price is good, too!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks, they both look great.
It seems to be important with the AP Tuner to set the threshold so that it is reading the main part of the signal after the initial attack and before decay sets in.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Nick wrote:. Comes in PC version or if you own any i product, it has programmes for that too, very handy if you have an iPhone as you don't need to cart any extra gear around with you.
Also has detachable, spectrum analyizer, oscilliscope or pitch graph 'units'. Great piece of kit I reckon and for what it does (acurracy e.t.c), compared to their hardware models, a reasonable price to boot.
Also available for Apple's "proper" computers as well as it's "iToys". I'm running Strobosoft on my Macbook Pro.
Martin

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:18 pm

What about the turbo tuners?

More accurate then anything I have seen for under $500.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:43 pm

The Peterson has a few features the Turbo tuner doesn't have...eg tap tuning capabilities and graphical presentation.
Martin

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Post by Nick Payne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 am

kiwigeo wrote:The Peterson has a few features the Turbo tuner doesn't have...eg tap tuning capabilities and graphical presentation.
There's a demo of tap tuning with the turbo tuner at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sNxczNRqDc.