Falcate

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ScottC.
Myrtle

Falcate

Post by ScottC. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm

In the books you speak of making a classical guitar with falcate bracing but the plan included with falcate is steel string cutaway, how would I incorporate falcate bracing into one of the classical plans and which body do you use?
My excuse is "I'm new"

Dominic
Blackwood

Re: Falcate

Post by Dominic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 pm

This was discussed a little while ago. Have a read through these posts first.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Dominic wrote:This was discussed a little while ago. Have a read through these posts first.
Dom
I searched the word "Falcate" and none of these had the questions I am asking, I am sorry if I missed them, Can you guide me to the posts you speak of?
My excuse is "I'm new"

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:04 am

trevtheshed wrote:Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3819
I am not trying to design my own guitar yet, I would like to reproduce a tested falcate classical design like you have already produced, I would like just to know which body you use for a falcate classical and can I just copy the falcate braces onto that shape from the SS plan?
Thanks
My excuse is "I'm new"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 am

Scott, any "classical" classical guitar body shape will work. The variations in dimensions of particular shapes are quite small. So you could use the classical shape on the full size plans or do one of your own based on Fig. 4.6-32 and Appendix V in the Design volume. Or you could do a neo-classical type of your own design.

The SS falcate design is for SS! The idea of the design book is that you are presented with all the tools you need to design more-or-less any type of flat-top guitar, including falcate braced classicals, the design of which is not specifically detailed amongst the four designs offered in the book.

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:32 pm

I am just starting out, so I"ll stick to a ready made plan till I am really comfy with the whole thing:)
My excuse is "I'm new"

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Scott, I am sure no one thinks you are an idiot as your sig says. We all started somewhere. Give yourself a break.

As long as you think about your questions and do a bit of research first. In most cases one of us has probably thought about it before asked similar questions. A quick scan down the list of threads in this section and you would have come across one called falcate classical that Jeff asked. That would have been the place to start. The design section of the book discusses the influence different body sizes have on the sound of a classical guitar so you have to decide what you want.

This is Trevor teaching you how to fish, rather than giving it to you on a plate.

If you want at more step through build I'd go with the Fleta on which there is lots of info in the book and hone you chops on that first. A decent Fleta copy is nothing to snear at.

Cheers
Dom

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Dom, I always set my sights way high, it sounded to me as if the falcate classical is the favorite, and as usual I want to shoot for the best! I really don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done that, I thought I might get to start with a "copy" of the best, but there is a complete layout of the Fleta to me to start with. I did see the other posts but they were asking different questions, I was asking for the plate:)
Thanks
My excuse is "I'm new"

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:57 am

Hey Scott, I know that feeling. When I started every time I saw something interesting I wanted to make it. But in the end, you'll make a better guitar if you follow a plan than try to improvise a new design. My best advice is to be patient, focus on what you are doing now and work on your execution. Trevor mentions that his guitars always sound better than his students due to more experience with hand tools, getting close tolerances, and producing clean work etc. That is, craftsmanship. I think the point is also made that a poorly executed falcate guitar would sound no better than a poorly made fan braced guitar.
Anyway, good luck and if you do make a falcate classical, make sure you tell us what you did and how it went.
Cheers
Dom

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I tend to agree with Dom here....Lutherie just takes time...Craftsmanship cannot be downloaded like so many other things today...that is just a fact that we all have to live with. Take your time and enjoy the process...after all when you have made a guitar you will have the satisfaction of having made something that billions of other people have not:)

I hope it goes well for you Scott....let us know how you are going...you can ask here and you will get honest answers from people who have made most of the mistakes that you may have just made...

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot