My Live Back Design

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

My Live Back Design

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Trevor,
No great problem, but just wanted to check something.
I am drawing up my design, and with the back radial braces,when I run them at 50 deg to the centreline and also 50mm in from the centreline (not the marriage strip) and draw in the brace at 115mm,I end up butting up to the linings. I just thought this a little strange as my design is slightly larger than yours and your photo's and diagram shows them obviously clear of the linings ?
My design has a body length of 500mm, 300mm from tail side of the soundhole to tail and a lower bout width of 395mm

Cheers Tod
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: My Live Back Design

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am

I've just checked Drg. #6 (in the envelope, back of the Build vol.) and it seems OK to me. The diagonal braces are drawn in at 105mm long, but even at 115mm (as per Fig. 4.4-22, or Fig 11-33) or as much as 130mm for that matter, starting at 50mm from the centreline, they would still fit inside the linings.

So, try overlaying your design on Drg #6 and see where the differences are. If the lower bout main brace is in the normal place and the guitar is more-or-less conventionally shaped, I can't see why it shouldn't fit.

Let us know how you go.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks Trevor, Yeah my fault :oops: I knew it would be :oops: I transfered the shape to traceing paper earlier and had the inside line of my linings drawn in instead of the outside, this along with my shape taking a smaller radius from the tail just made it look wrong, very sorry to trouble you.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 am

No worries. I'm pleased you got it sorted!