West systems or Techniglue

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

West systems or Techniglue

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm

For laminating falcate braces which is the best...West Systems 105/206 or techniglue?
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: West systems or Techniglue

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 am

I've done one set with polyurethane glue and one set with a techniglue equivalent, both worked.
Some guys are using titebond original.
I would think that the low viscosity resin would be a bit difficult to use in this situation in terms of keeping an adequate film thickness to avoid starvation.
I believe Trevor uses the techniglue for laminating and the resin for brace to soundboard and CF layup

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 am

jeffhigh wrote:I've done one set with polyurethane glue and one set with a techniglue equivalent, both worked.
Some guys are using titebond original.
I would think that the low viscosity resin would be a bit difficult to use in this situation in terms of keeping an adequate film thickness to avoid starvation.
I believe Trevor uses the techniglue for laminating and the resin for brace to soundboard and CF layup
Thanks for the come back Jeff and my questions are answered. I was pretty sure that West Systems 105 was more suitable for laying up CF than for laminating purposes. I managed to get a sitka primary brace to hold together with West Systems but the tighter radiused secondary brace I made up delaminated and fell apart.

Learning as I go but man it's a whole lotta fun!
Martin

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Martin, I used a lot of West Resin a few years ago (I built a 9 metre boat out of cedar strip and glass), and it works well for lamination when you use the standard (white) glue thickener. I think it is the one they call a colloidol powder. It has the advantage that it fills gaps.

The straight resin is not so much useful for gluing flat surfaces together, as others have noted it tends to run out of the joint.

I'd think your big problem would be in mixing up a small enough batch for laminated braces. The thickener adds a fair bit of bulk and I used to find a single squirt of resin plus hardener plus the thickening powder makes for a fairly big lump of stuff.

BTW, after reading Kim from WA's epoxy horror stories, I feel very fortunate. I used to end most days of boat building with a fair bit stuck to me and my overalls, even with barrier cream, gloves and so on. So far no bad problems as a result, as far as I know, but I'm very reluctant to dabble in the stuff again.

Kym

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks Kym....very useful input from you all thanks.
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Hey Martin.

Further to that which Kym and Jeff have said...

Techniglue is actually very similar to West System once the colloidal powder is added. Essentially, Techniglue is like it already has this mixed in, so really you'd just be complicating matters to have to mix in colloidal powder to the WS. Best to leave the West System as is for the jobs it is best at and either use Techniglue or trial other glues for the laminated braces. Techniglue was described as an "industrial grade construction adhesive" btw - it is very strong stuff.

This info is from back in the days of dealing with and training under the distributor of the mentioned products - both Techniglue and West Systems came from the one supplier.

Hope it helps.

Jeremy.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:04 pm

kiwigeo wrote:For laminating falcate braces which is the best...West Systems 105/206 or techniglue?
Techniglue for laminating braces and as a general purpose epoxy adhesive, WEST 105/206 for any work with CF, WEST 105/207 for grain filling/clear coating.

All are made in Aus. by ATL Composites somewhere near Brisvegas.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks Trevor....
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Why the frick does techniglue come in a tin?????
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Martin
If you want to use the tin again cover the top with pieces of masking tape then the glue can't fill the slot for the lid. If not then can you decant?

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Getting the glue out of the tin.......I assume syringes are the go?
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 am

Martin, I think you'll find it is because they are too thick to be in a squeeze or pump bottle.

They are very gel like so once stock was low, there would be no way of getting all the glue to the tip in such a setup. That's my guess anyway.

They are a 2 to 1 ratio. Syringes will work, but are difficult - again due to the thickness. You tend to get air pockets when drawing up. It can be done, you just need to take care. Probably easier just to use some measuring spoons or similar.

Techniglue is a little more forgiving in ratio imbalance than West System, but needless to say you should be as accurate as possible.

Jeremy.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 am

Find three clean sticks all the same width. The right width depends on how much glue you want to mix. Scoop out one "helping" of resin and rest the stick on the edge of your mixing receptacle. Match it with another helping of resin and then a helping of hardener using the other sticks. Plenty accurate enough, especially if you have kids.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 am

trevtheshed wrote:Find three clean sticks all the same width. The right width depends on how much glue you want to mix. Scoop out one "helping" of resin and rest the stick on the edge of your mixing receptacle. Match it with another helping of resin and then a helping of hardener using the other sticks. Plenty accurate enough, especially if you have kids.
So what youre trying to say is that syringes aren't accurate enough?
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 am

Syringes are plenty accurate enough and is what I use for 105/207 105/206 mixing. But Techniglue is a gel and doesn't suck up easily into small syringes. You'd have to top fill them and then try to get the bubbles out - next to impossible. Techniglue also seems to be very tolerant to imprecise mixing, but, of course, don't push your luck. Get the ratios as good as you can.

There's always the option of mixing by weight. Chuck your receptacle on the scales, tare it off, add resin and hardener in the right proportions. I've never had a problem with the popsicle stick method.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Ok popsicle sticks it is...
Martin