Free tone generator software

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ScottC.
Myrtle

Free tone generator software

Post by ScottC. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:13 am

Hi, does anyone know of a free tone generator software for PC that will generate the tone to the 0.1 Hz frequency? I found several that do not go into the 0.01 Hz division.
Thanks, Scott
My excuse is "I'm new"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Free tone generator software

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Sorry, can't help you with that one, Scott. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to go so low?

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Sorry, :oops: I think I stated that wrong, I was thinking I needed 0.1 resolution from a tone generator, but now I wonder if that is necessary for accurate modal tuning?
My excuse is "I'm new"

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Scott,

I use Test tone generator from esser audio , you can download a trial version for free http://www.esseraudio.com/test-tone-gen ... actor.html

I run it through a little amp , and have a small H/Held sub similar to the one trevoer uses.

Cheers,
Paul .

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm

ScottC. wrote: I was thinking I needed 0.1 resolution from a tone generator, but now I wonder if that is necessary for accurate modal tuning?
Ah, OK.

Visual Analyser (wave tab) will do down to 0.01Hz increments, but you have to type the numbers in. Just tried it and it seemed to be working, though it's pretty hard for me to hear 0.1Hz difference, even as a beat note, never mind 0.01Hz.

The problem with most of the software Sig gens is varying the frequency. There is much to be said for good old analogue knobs in this situation. The app. that Paul recommended may be better than some of the others I've seen.

Regarding what resolution you need, my sig gen is analogue, so I don't run into the problem. Some of the guys using software sig gens with 1Hz resolution have had problems getting patterns, but that could be due to lots of things, not just the resolution. Certainly, I would think that 0.1Hz resolution would be plenty. With 1Hz resolution, you should still be able to find most modes, but with high Q modes you may not get the best excitement of the panel.

pat foster
Myrtle

Post by pat foster » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 am

I'll never understand why more programmers don't use the mouse scroll wheel to vary the frequency.

Pat

ScottC.
Myrtle

Post by ScottC. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 am

trevtheshed wrote:
ScottC. wrote: I was thinking I needed 0.1 resolution from a tone generator, but now I wonder if that is necessary for accurate modal tuning?
Ah, OK.

Visual Analyser (wave tab) will do down to 0.01Hz increments, but you have to type the numbers in. Just tried it and it seemed to be working, though it's pretty hard for me to hear 0.1Hz difference, even as a beat note, never mind 0.01Hz.

The problem with most of the software Sig gens is varying the frequency. There is much to be said for good old analogue knobs in this situation. The app. that Paul recommended may be better than some of the others I've seen.

Regarding what resolution you need, my sig gen is analogue, so I don't run into the problem. Some of the guys using software sig gens with 1Hz resolution have had problems getting patterns, but that could be due to lots of things, not just the resolution. Certainly, I would think that 0.1Hz resolution would be plenty. With 1Hz resolution, you should still be able to find most modes, but with high Q modes you may not get the best excitement of the panel.
Wow, that Visual Analyzer is quite the software for free! I think I'll give it a try.
My excuse is "I'm new"

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 am

Hi Scott ,

The trial version is free,after that expires the cost for a license is around $20 ithinks , It certainly does the job for what I want it for .

Cheers,
Paul .

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am

pat foster wrote:I'll never understand why more programmers don't use the mouse scroll wheel to vary the frequency.

Pat
Yep, that works well when it's a supported function and you can get the increments you want.