Buy the book?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Buy the book?

Post by colburge » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi

I am coming close to finishing my first guitar using Cumpiano's book; it is going ok, but I don't think I want to use the same methods next time around, as it was a bit hit and miss, so I was thinking of buying the books.

Are the books aimed at more accomplished builders using advanced techniques, or is it suitable for beginners as well? I understand that one of the books covers all the technical aspects which I am interested in, but I am not completely sure what building methods Trevor and Gerard advocate / use in the other. I am after a book that shows me from start to finish how to build a great guitar including jigs and moulds if required. Hopefully I wont have to buy another book if I buy these, but it is a lot of money for me, so I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to be useful to me straight away.

Cheers

Col

colburge
Blackwood

Re: Buy the book?

Post by colburge » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

bugger it, I want it, so I'm buying it. :D

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 am

The mathematics may be a little daunting & advanced for somebody just starting down the path Col (or even halfway down the path!) but the build book (I've only flicked through both volumes at this stage, I need a good clear section in my schedule to sit down & digest these volumes :oops: ) will offer valuable reference to anybody at any level. Having said that you can never have enough reference material and a purchase now will never be money wasted & if you are of a mathematical ilk it's never beyond the reach of a beginner.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am

Nick wrote:The mathematics may be a little daunting & advanced for somebody just starting down the path Col (or even halfway down the path!) but the build book (I've only flicked through both volumes at this stage, I need a good clear section in my schedule to sit down & digest these volumes :oops: ) will offer valuable reference to anybody at any level. Having said that you can never have enough reference material and a purchase now will never be money wasted & if you are of a mathematical ilk it's never beyond the reach of a beginner.
I know they will be useful so I bought them. I just balked a little at the price as there is so many more things I need to buy right now and no money to buy them. :)
I will need to do lots of overtime to get properly set up for this very expensive hobby.

cheers

Col

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

For those yet to make a decision there's more info here, with short reviews, a full review and reader reaction. Quite a few people have sent me pics of their builds, so I may be able to get some of those up shortly.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 am

trevtheshed wrote:For those yet to make a decision there's more info here, with short reviews, a full review and reader reaction. Quite a few people have sent me pics of their builds, so I may be able to get some of those up shortly.
Thanks Trevor

I had read those reviews, and the rest of your site too. I would be interested to see some pics of builds from readers too if you get time.

Cheers

Col

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Book's on its way, Col.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks Trevor.

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I built my first guitar with cumpiano's book and am half way through my second using a lot of trev's methods from the build book (and concepts from the design book).

I can say without a doubt that these are some of the most well planed, researched and executed books on any subject. I also think that the build book does not get enough attention as by itself this is a great work. I know it is going to take me a few more builds for everything to really sink in but I feel like these books will shave years off the time it takes me nail a lot of the construction and design concepts relating to instrument building.

So from the point of view of someone that is walking a similar path as you I really don't think you will be disappointed.
Jeremy D