About the falcate bracing

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

frette des bois
Gidgee

About the falcate bracing

Post by frette des bois » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am

Hi,
Sorry if my question looks stupid, but where can I hear a classical guitar with such bracing ?

I search all around on the web, I found some kasha bracing - and the tonality looks not so good for me rather the classical fan brace - , but I hadn't found any classical guitar with this bracing.

Tx a lot for your help.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: About the falcate bracing

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am

frette des bois wrote:...where can I hear a classical guitar with such bracing ?
There's a couple of tracks on my website here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... sound.html

When we recorded these we chose not to use any compression so as not to colour the sound, but then struggled to capture the very wide dynamic range in the percussive sections! So it's best to listen at fairly high volume.

In the spectrum of sounds, falcate bracing (as I do it) lies between fan bracing and lattice bracing, but more to the fan bracing end of the spectrum. However, different strings and different set-ups have as much or more influence on the sound as the bracing style, with the placement of the modal resonances having arguably the most significant effect.

So, in a nutshell, a wide variety of sounds is possible from any style of bracing, if the maker knows his/her stuff.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: About the falcate bracing

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:57 am

I'll have a falcate braced classical finished shortly. Pics and a few spectrum plots here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5969
Will try and find someone who can play it better than I can and post up a clip.

My last build....like Trevor says the sound is in between a fan and latice braced instrument, skewed towards fan braced. First thing I noticed was volume was alot better than fan braced commercial builds I have around the house.
Martin