Sitar-like open note?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dshaker
Myrtle

Sitar-like open note?

Post by dshaker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 am

First guitar made using The Book:

If I play the open note on the high E string, it sounds kind of like a sitar string. I don't notice this on the other strings nor it the second string is fretted to play the same note as the first string.

Anyone have an idea what might be going on?
-Doug Shaker

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Sitar-like open note?

Post by johnparchem » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:37 am

Check the nut slot to make sure it is breaking on the edge and is sloped back. I have heard the sitar like note when the string is not sitting right in the nut slot. Given that your issue is only with one string I would focus on the string and where it contacts the guitar. If it is going away fretted I it must be something above the fret; thus the nut.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 am

johnparchem wrote:Check the nut slot to make sure it is breaking on the edge and is sloped back. I have heard the sitar like note when the string is not sitting right in the nut slot. Given that your issue is only with one string I would focus on the string and where it contacts the guitar. If it is going away fretted I it must be something above the fret; thus the nut.
+1, you have some movement of the string going on where it shouldn't, nut slot is the most likely candidate however it can very occasionally be a poorly radiused or shaped saddle contact point. The radius doesn't drop away as it should, there may be a slight ramp in front of the break point so the string touches on it as it vibrates.
One quick fire way to check which end of the string is the offender is to put some pressure on the string immediately in front of the nut, with either a thumbnail, or if you lack nails, a credit card. This will 'seat' the string at the front with your nail becoming a surrogate front edge. Play the open string again and if the sitar turns into a guitar, Bingo! The nut is the offender. I once had a repair that was doing it's best impersonation of Ravi Shankar on all three plain strings, when I checked the nut slots, the highest points (on all three) were almost near the back of the nut rather than the front! Some well intention soul had done a nut job for him and hadn't angled the slots back so each string was actually hitting (and vibrating like crazy) against the sides of their slots by the time they got to the front edge.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 am

dshaker wrote:First guitar made using The Book:

If I play the open note on the high E string, it sounds kind of like a sitar string.
When making a guitar using a book it is quite common that a page doesn't get glued properly which can lead to the sitar-like sound you are describing. :shock:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Gsanbrook
Wandoo

Post by Gsanbrook » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 am

A lack of neck relief can mimic a sitar like sound. I found this out on the last one I built.

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks, guys. I spent five minutes last night reconfiguring the nut slot and the string started sounding normal. One more fret buzz to nail and I'll be done.

Thanks for your help and advice.
-Doug Shaker

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Always check your nuts
Martin

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 pm