Plastic Hinges

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

MattW
Myrtle

Plastic Hinges

Post by MattW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi Trevor

Just wondering where you got the "no slackiness" plastic hinges that you used in the binding router jig? Been googling for a while now and only found these type

Ive built your binding jig with metal hinges and there's too much slop in it ( cheesy hinges). A test cut jumps and binds due to the slop in the hinges, which is freaking me out after the last mishap routing the slot for the end graft! I've spent some time re installing them at a slight angle to close up the gaps, but hasn't really made much difference.

Cheers
Cheers

Matt

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Plastic Hinges

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm

You can just give a sloppy hinge a few taps here and there with a hammer to pull the play out Matt. I used metal ones for my jig and they are fine although I did have some nice ones laying around from a old job.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks Jim

Ill give it a few taps and see if I can close it up, but I am using cheap hinges from the big green box. If it doesnt work I may need to buy better hinges :oops:
Cheers

Matt

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 am

I used some Shepherd hinges:

http://www.ceshepherd.com/plastic_hinge.html which I got from a supplier in Melbourne. Unfortunately, I can't find the name of the supplier, but you may be able to get the name of an Aus supplier from Shepherd. Any "tight" hinge will do. There are some around which are made of steel, but have plastic liners for the pins. These are not as cheap as some options, but a lot less expensive than linear bearings....

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:16 am

Matt I had to search a bit here in the UK. Most of the plastic hinges that came up were like ordinary butt hinges with a hinge pin. I eventually found a couple of sites listing them as caravan accessories - presumably because of the damp.

This was one of them for people in the UK:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carava ... white.aspx

I originally built a binder with brass butt hinges but there was indeed a lot of play. The plastic ones were better but still left some flexing. However it didn't matter. Much to my surprise the Heath Robinson looking device worked really well. Well worth building. I got really clean, regular binding channels.

Cheers Dave M
Attachments
Binding machine 9 small.jpg
------------------
Dave

Beau Hannam Guitars
Wandoo

Post by Beau Hannam Guitars » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:33 am

ebay search for "cooler replacement plastic hinges"

heaps pop up
Beau Hannam