Clarity

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Clarity

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:42 am

Clarity is an attribute I value in an acoustic jazz guitar, especially when being driven hard & fast with a pic, especially in the chords. Anyone have thoughts on what the handles are on this, particularly in the lower register, say below 300-400hz.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Clarity

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I was hoping someone else might jump in...

P3-31 on "Attack" and page 3-32 on "Separation" pretty much cover it from my point of view. If you are talking about Selmer/Mac guitars playing rhythm chords, I think there's a fundamental conflict in getting clarity as I define it, because the archetypal sound for that type of repertoire is from a guitar or three chugging along replacing the drums and the playing style (percussive rhythm, left hand damped) just doesn't lend itself to clarity in terms of very clearly defined and separated pitches.

Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick???

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Re: Clarity

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:26 am

Thanks Trevor. I reread the sections on tonal characteristics including Attack and Separation. Yeah, there is a lot there that applies. Your comments about the nature of the Selmac is right on. Lots to think about.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog