Trevor's course

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Trevor's course

Post by martintaylor » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Just had the privilege to attend a 3 day course with Trevor Gore to explain modal tuning etc. Wow, what a great mind expanding time. For those of you that know me, my background is a graphic designer. So, how well does a person that studied a course that had no exams or essays (it was 30 years ago!) cope with engineering, maths and physics equations that looked (and sounded) like they were in a completely foreign language? Well, truthfully, not that well haha. But, Trevor was patient, clear and forgiving (I hope) of some of the questions and by the end of the 3 days we all came away with a much clearer understanding of the work he and Gerard have done in bringing this contemporary approach to guitar building to all of us.

Will I go back to uni to study maths or engineering? No. Will I apply the knowledge and process that Trevor explained? Absolutely.

Now, I just have a few more jigs to make and some snazzy equipment to buy...
Gore-course-14.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Trevor's course

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

martintaylor wrote:
Now, I just have a few more jigs to make and some snazzy equipment to buy...
Gore-course-14.jpg
Eeeeeeexcellent...another recruit to the Gore Army!! :mrgreen:
Martin

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Just wondering, does Trevor ever come to the US and give such a course? I think he (you) have in the past, wonder if anything is on the horizon for the future.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Edzard
Beefwood

Post by Edzard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 am

Looks like you guys had a lot fun!

Looking at the (empty) bottles in the back, I think I found the reason why my guitars are not so good...yet.

Need to upgrade my shop soon..

Best regards,

Edzard

RobDyball
Myrtle

Post by RobDyball » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am

It was certainly an enlightening course. I had a fantastic time and met a great bunch of makers!
Now my family and friends get to hear about monopole mobility and impedance mismatching for the next few weeks. Blank stares all around, thanks Trevor!

PS that instrument in the picture is hands down the most beautiful I've ever played or heard. I was all:
The wand chooses the wizard!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 am

How about some names to the faces?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm

jeffhigh wrote:How about some names to the faces?
Yeah...who's the old guy holding the guitar? :mrgreen:
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:10 am

I'm pleased you guys enjoyed the course. Thanks to you all for coming along and thanks to Strato (again) for hosting it.
jeffhigh wrote:How about some names to the faces?
Left to right in the pic Martin posted above:

Wayde Christie, Pedro Flanagan, Paul Tilley, some old guy holding a guitar (that's what 3 days teaching does to you...), Andrew Armstrong (down from Brisbane), Martin Taylor, Jim Matheas (up from Melbourne), David Jaques, Rob Dyball. Strato was behind the camera. A good deal of building experience there, along with those with fewer guitars behind them.

There is some evidence of an embryonic "Luthier Tourism" industry... :lol:
Luthier Tourism_2.jpg
Luthier Tourism_2.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
Luthier Tourism.jpg
Luthier Tourism.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
RobertoDiabelli wrote:PS that instrument in the picture is hands down the most beautiful I've ever played or heard.
Thanks, Rob! (Rob works at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music/Sydney Uni). The guitar is a small body classical (designed that way because many guitars are "too big for their own good") also with a tilt neck and rather surprisingly was the guitar chosen from a number of classicals to play the bass line on in some of the impromptu jams). So it's strong in the bass as well as across the higher registers.
Craig Bumgarner wrote:Just wondering, does Trevor ever come to the US and give such a course? I think he (you) have in the past, wonder if anything is on the horizon for the future.
I've done courses in the USA in the past. Was planning a trip/courses in USA/Canada around the Montreal festival, which unfortunately got canned. There is nothing currently planned, but I'm happy to consider another USA trip, but obviously traveling expenses have to be recovered. Would need 8-10 participants to make it work. You could perhaps consider a bit of luthier tourism...