Compensating nut jig

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Edzard
Beefwood

Compensating nut jig

Post by Edzard » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 am

Hello Trevor and All,

Can you Trevor or maybe someone else give me a hint where to find the adjustable brass blocks used in your compensating fixture?

What kind of bit are you using to route the nut? Just a regular (wood) bit?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Edzard

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Compensating nut jig

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:10 am

I hand made the brass blocks in my jig. The brass was from the same stock that the neck bolt bar is made from. They were drilled and tapped to take M3 screws to make the adjustments.

I can't think of any easy substitutes. You might find something that can be adapted if you look for aftermarket Stratocaster adjustable saddles, which come in a variety of styles and materials, e.g. hard plastic. These may be easier to re-work than using brass, but I suspect not much easier.

The bit I use is a 1/8" HHS slot drill, but any spiral bit router cutter will do, sized at around 3mm. It has to be the same diameter as the guide pin, though, and the most suitable piece of steel I had around happened to be 1/8". Try the CMT brand. I know they make both up and down cut 1/8" and 3mm spiral cutters.

Hopefully some of the other guys may have better ideas for the blocks...