Falcate Classical Tap frequency bridge + saddle, no strings

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

johnparchem
Blackwood

Falcate Classical Tap frequency bridge + saddle, no strings

Post by johnparchem » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:47 am

With the bridge glued on I did a tap test of my falcate classical. I think it came out with working values. Depending what happens with the strings, I can add mass to the sides if I want to lower the top off F# (I know it is right on F# as I have my falcate SS guitar on the wall with the g string tuned down to F# and it started singing. I left the bottom brace pretty tall so I can get the back on target as well. I will wait for the strings first. From a closed box tap test the top came down two hertz with the bridge and air up about 2 Hz. My fret board covers a bit of the sound hole so that might be what changed the air resonance.
Attachments
no strings.jpg
no strings.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 5385 times

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Falcate Classical Tap frequency bridge + saddle, no stri

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 am

I suspect that with the saddle in and strings on you'll be down close to 180Hz.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:47 am

Yes lower than my target. I managed to get it just like my steel sting, I lowered the falcate brace and also lowered the mass of the top using the classical target. All and all I managed to balance the two parameters. Next time I will leave the braces a bit taller. But now I have one data point. The body is really alive. If I play the open F# on my SS I can feel the guitar vibrating holding the neck.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:05 am

johnparchem wrote:Yes lower than my target. I managed to get it just like my steel sting, I lowered the falcate brace and also lowered the mass of the top using the classical target. All and all I managed to balance the two parameters. Next time I will leave the braces a bit taller. But now I have one data point. The body is really alive. If I play the open F# on my SS I can feel the guitar vibrating holding the neck.
whoops, I went back to my notes and found my SS ended up at 172 Hz, So I did get this up a bit. Just not up to the 190 target. I tested my two fan braced classical guitars one ended up right on 190 Hz and one on 180 Hz.